How does one keep a duck pond clean???

Just got two peking ducks for my birthday, and since i know nothing about them I got on BYC and began my research. I had an old bathtub taken out of one or our rentals and was planning on using it for another horse trough (they work great) but I thought why not use it for a "Duckuzzi" instead? I dug a deep hole about the size of the bottom of the tub with space underneath it for the drain off, you could add gravel for drainage if you want ( I didn't). I inserted the tub into the hole and put pavers around the edges to try to keep some of the dirt out. They ofcourse get it dirty but all I have to do is pull the rubber plug out, drain it and refill it with the hose. Pretty easy and fast. Just make sure you dig the pit deep enough to accommadate the drained water till it absorbs into the ground. Hope this helps...NOW for my question...I NEED INFO ON A WATERING SYSTEM TO KEEP DRINKING WATERER CLEAN!!! I am SICK of their waterer being FILTHY 10 minutes after I change it!! There has GOT to be somone who has come up with a homemade waterer that helps with this problem!! PLEASE anybody? ALSO VERY INPORTANT...If you have chickens in with your ducks PLEASE put a cinder block or large rock in it so if any of the chickens fall in the pond they can get out. Sadly I found out the hard way...Lost my sweet showgirl to the "pond of death". Now there is a cinderblock on one end...just in case.
hit.gif

I also would like to know an effective way of keeping my duck pond clean I have a filter system in it but it clogs up so fast I cant keep up. Plus I am caught between the whole to clean or not to clean for beneficial bactiria thing. Any Ideas other than whats been posted so far? These are my ducks pond is still not completley done and thanks to a wind storm the pond and rocks are all full of leaves. But I think it turned out OK for a Craigslist special. Thank you Dylan
<p>
10-20-10049.jpg

Quote:
This size pond, with ducks, you won't get beneficial bacteria, especially with nothing in it but the ducks. Will be way too much poop for anything - will make the water not a good environment even for the good stuff.

Last edited:
Quote:
most pumps and filters will just clog up. wifezillas set up is awesome.

I have a 9x6 pond that is 18'' deep and have a 330 gph pump in it running continuously from one end to the next causing a stream like effect.
I am still working on some homemade bio filters but so far they keep the pond clean and clear for about 3 days then i have to spray it down.
I haven't had much experience with this new pond yet so we'll just have to see what happens.

Last edited:
Plants in the system are the key. The more the better. Now keeping the ducks from eating the plants is an issue, but that's what poultry wire is for
big_smile.png

My ponds are down for the season. Shelley got out and ate all my fish again
tongue.png
She is such a goober
big_smile.png

The stock pond pump was not nearly enough to get the right amount of oxygen in the system. I am investing in a pump that can move solids for that before spring. Right now I am just going to save the electricity. This means we are back to the kiddie pool system for the winter. Argg!

Quote:
The only ducks that will be in the pond will be the mandarins/teal/pintails and so far in the old pen haven't touch a single plant. I would like to try your idea for duckweed to see how they react and maybe some lily pads.

Wifezilla-

Small world. The Skippy place you posted a link to, is exactly two blocks from my house. It used to be Skippys', a drive-up restaurant with car hops.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom