How does roof type affect humidity in the coop?

Pics
That is what I was considering. Putting a loft covering about half the coop on the side opposite of where the chickens roost. That way, the mass of the air volume above their heads is still open.
I was wondering if maybe it would be better to have the covering above their heads to avoid the cold air coming in on top of them.just a thought.

I was wondering if maybe it would be better to have the covering above their heads to avoid the cold air coming in on top of them.just a thought.

I was thinking just the opposite, where you would want as much headroom above the chickens roost as possible and not have a covering closer to their heads when on the roost. The only thing I have read about cold air is that you don't want it blowing/drafting up from underneath their roost.

That is what I was considering. Putting a loft covering about half the coop on the side opposite of where the chickens roost. That way, the mass of the air volume above their heads is still open.
Sounds like a plan, but don't be surprised if they find a way to get up there, especially if your roosts are along the long sides. Mine are always looking to get to the highest possible point when they are ready to roost.

Sounds like a plan, but don't be surprised if they find a way to get up there, especially if your roosts are along the long sides. Mine are always looking to get to the highest possible point when they are ready to roost.

If I do put a loft in the chicken coop, I will also add a chicken wire gate/barrier so the chickens cannot get up into the loft. No doubt all 10 of my chickens would find a way into the loft if left open.

Back
Top Bottom