How duck & geese feet are designed not to freeze

I'm in Canada...North central Alberta... their feet can and do freeze.
Do not believe everything you read on line.

Cheers!

Try -35 Celsius as a day time high!! I am Canadian! Ducks need straw to warm up in!

No one said they would never freeze, just that they are designed to withstand freezing temps, within reason, and how they are designed to do so. If they weren't bred to be hardy & survive the elements the species would have died off long ago from failure to adapt. But then, they have natural instincts to help them. Many waterfowl migrate southward in fall, following warmer weather and food supply. They would not choose to stay in an unsuitable environment by choice. They often choose to stay on large bodies of Open water, and groups of ducks have been known to swim together to try to keep the water from freezing on "still" water. "Moving" water will stay open longer than "still" water.

No one said not to use common sense. Yes, if you live in a climate where the temps are -35* Celsius as a day-time high, you will need to make provisions for your ducks, as that is not a reasonable environment for ducks. They will need their humans to provide water, quality food and shelter--at least a wind break, shed, barn or etc, not to mention protection from predators. Straw is a great insulator, good choice for bedding.

Absolutely do not believe everything you read online. By all means always consider the source. Be able to discern the difference between scientific facts, first hand experiences and someone's opinion. This is an educational article I shared to give folks an insight on the how & why waterfowl are designed for survival.

Several years ago a member took in a friends call duck that slept in the water bowl over night and his feet froze in the water when the water froze. This duck got severe frost bite and lost most of it's feet. I wish I could remember what the thread was called but it does happen in extreme cases so even though what the link said is probably true under certain circumstances, we still have to do all we can to make sure our birds don't have something like that happen.

Yes, Miss Lydia, humans have to be responsible caretakers for their animals. Allowing a duck to sleep in a bowl of water, during freezing temps is a disaster waiting to happen. "Still" water freezes faster than "moving" water, just as small quantities of water freeze quicker than large areas. I would imagine that the caretaker wasn't knowledgeable that something like that could happen and was heartbroken when it did. It was nice of them to share their upsetting, first hand experience, so other novices could learn by their mistake and prevent other ducks from experiencing the same fate. I feel for them, as it was probably traumatic for them, but thankful for the many birds it potentially saves. That is what is so nice about BYC, people get to avoid a lot of mistakes by learning from other people's experiences. Most folks here are kind and supportive, a great place to feel at home and ask questions. Kudos to BYC and it's helpful members.
big_smile.png

Yes, Miss Lydia, humans have to be responsible caretakers for their animals. Allowing a duck to sleep in a bowl of water, during freezing temps is a disaster waiting to happen. "Still" water freezes faster than "moving" water, just as small quantities of water freeze quicker than large areas. I would imagine that the caretaker wasn't knowledgeable that something like that could happen and was heartbroken when it did. It was nice of them to share their upsetting, first hand experience, so other novices could learn by their mistake and prevent other ducks from experiencing the same fate. I feel for them, as it was probably traumatic for them, but thankful for the many birds it potentially saves. That is what is so nice about BYC, people get to avoid a lot of mistakes by learning from other people's experiences. Most folks here are kind and supportive, a great place to feel at home and ask questions. Kudos to BYC and it's helpful members.
big_smile.png
You are so right @PINOAK RIDGE . I have learned so much here.

During winter, I usually am concerned if it's both wet and cold, but not necessarily if it's wet, or if it's cold. Birds have adapted to survive in their regional climate. Just look at those little birds hopping out in the mornings to find food in the snow. That's not to say all of them make it, just like the case of ducks getting frost-bite on their legs and feet but their adaptations have allowed many of them to survive just fine.

Some ducks also can handle the cold better than others, so just make sure which variety you have. And even if they can handle it, we certainly can give them added protection as necessary, so take precaution also.

Back
Top Bottom