How early and how often do you candle your eggs?

Just started the 2016 hatch! Chicks arrive on Jan 8 if all goes well. I typically candle on day 10 and day 18 before lockdown. Maybe I need to change it though...not being superstitous or anything, but last year's 6 rooster to 1 hen ratio was enough to drive me crazy! If I could just flip those numbers by doing something differently...(sigh)

I use tubing . I push it through the crate and threat it through the turner and out if one if the slots that the red piece goes in. I'll attach a pic

It's been many years since we've done any home hatching. The other day my husband and I made an incubator (Sterilite bin and a 40 watt bulb), let it sit for a few days to regulate the heat and get the humidity right. Yesterday I set 4 eggs and added 2 more today. I couldn't remember when to candle so I have read all the helpful information and saw a candling device someone had posted. I'm excited to try all your tips and see how things go.

Hi guys
I was wondering how you can tell if a chick is still alive ?
And what does it mean when the whole egg blocks all the light

Last edited:
Hi guys
I was wondering how you can tell if a chick is still alive ?
And what does it mean when the whole egg blocks all the light
What day of incubation are you on? I'm assuming that you mean that when you candle the egg you can't see any light...correct? If so, and if you are nearing Day 20, you might be ok. Sometimes you can see movement in the egg to know if a chick is alive, but not always. Good luck on your hatch!

Looking for a good thread to ask my question in without tarting something new and at least you guys are posting in 2016. So, here is my question. I have a black sex link hen who has decided she needs to hatch some babies. Now, we don't have a rooster so I got some eggs from a friend who does and as she says (he wear those hens out) so they are likely fertile. Anyway...I am impatient and confused! I really want for her to hatch something but in candling the eggs at 5 days I am not seeing what I have seen in photos of eggs that were candled earlier than 5 days. I can now see the yolks moving around where I could not see that before. I see no veining though which has me concerned. One of the eggs looks to have a air sac that has developed on the side of the egg rather than the top. Granted these are brown shelled eggs so maybe they are just harder to see into. But I really want to see that little black dot with the spider veins. Is seeing the yolk a good sign? My friend brought more eggs today to try in case nothing happens with these. She's a good broody hen and she thinks she's doing an awesome job.

A broody hen is the VERY best incubator. Give it some more time! Try waiting a few more days before you candle. To be honest, I don't candle anymore when my hens are brooding. They will not fail at hatching unless the eggs aren't fertile.
Looking for a good thread to ask my question in without tarting something new and at least you guys are posting in 2016. So, here is my question. I have a black sex link hen who has decided she needs to hatch some babies. Now, we don't have a rooster so I got some eggs from a friend who does and as she says (he wear those hens out) so they are likely fertile. Anyway...I am impatient and confused! I really want for her to hatch something but in candling the eggs at 5 days I am not seeing what I have seen in photos of eggs that were candled earlier than 5 days. I can now see the yolks moving around where I could not see that before. I see no veining though which has me concerned. One of the eggs looks to have a air sac that has developed on the side of the egg rather than the top. Granted these are brown shelled eggs so maybe they are just harder to see into. But I really want to see that little black dot with the spider veins. Is seeing the yolk a good sign? My friend brought more eggs today to try in case nothing happens with these. She's a good broody hen and she thinks she's doing an awesome job.

Back
Top Bottom