How early is too early to put my chicks outside?

LucyBO16

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I have 5 week old chicks. 3 Barred Rock and 3 Rhode Island Red. The weather here is at about 80 degrees during the day and 60 degrees at night. Can I put them outside full time yet?

Yes you can as long as their safe from animals at night but they would be fine UNLESS their are adult chickens around they will peck at them and possibly kill them if you do have adult hens wait till 9 or 10 weeks or when you think they have some size to them to run and live

If the climate issue is your only concern, by all means put them out. 80F is a very comfortable temp, but make sure the chicks have shade as well as sun.

You don't mention adult chickens. That could be an issue we need to discuss with you to insure the safety of your chicks.

If the climate issue is your only concern, by all means put them out. 80F is a very comfortable temp, but make sure the chicks have shade as well as sun.

You don't mention adult chickens. That could be an issue we need to discuss with you to insure the safety of your chicks.
Mine are about 10 weeks old. I have about 30 hens and 4 roosters, 3 of which need to be harvested. I also have 4 ducks that are the same age and are already free ranging with the GP, general population. They free range every day that I am home which is most days. They are still smaller but is it ok to put them in GP?

If ten-week olds have never met the adult flock, it's best to introduce them gradually so all may get acquainted. To toss them cold-turkey into the fray is to invite a gang-bang. They are strangers to the flock, therefore a threat, especially since they're nearly grown. If these ten-week olds have already been seen by the flock and vice-versa, by all means put them together.

Chicks are entirely capable of observing the adults, even thirty-four of them, and and they learn which temperaments pose a threat and should be watched and which ones are benign and can be ignored. You will do your chicks a big favor by letting them have a safe pen from which to adjust to the flock before being subjected to the pecking order.

By the way, next time you wish to add chicks, it's much easier on them to brood them in proximity to the adult flock and to introduce them while they are still just a couple weeks old and therefore pose no threat to the adults. I realize common wisdom dictates you wait until new additions are the same size, but I've found that common wisdom isn't always wise and there are much better ways of doing things.

Last edited:
I got a group of twelve chickens in February and I didn't put them outside until April. This was mostly due to the fact that the weather where I live was too cold. Plus, this was my first group of chickens, so my pen was still being built. I definitely kept them inside for long enough, and I think that as long as you are sure that your pen is going to be safe for them (and you are ready to let them go...lol) you should be fine to put them outside. :)

I acclimated mine. @4wks. I put them out during the nice days..bought them in @night. At the end of 5wks..they were getting pretty bored so i put them in thier coop w a heat lamp at night...should they choose to use it. They are six wks now..decent feathering...no more lamp..got down to 40s a few times...but they are gappy in the new 10 x 12 shed. I close the windows and doors at night. They pile together in a corner for warmth to sleep.i think once you eliminate the heat lamp and they have a good amount if feathers they should be fine.

I have 2 hens that are 2 1/2 yrs old and now have 5 chicks from 5 weeks to 6 1/2 weeks old. what would be the best way to safely to get them together. The chicks are in a big brooder box now. has been to cold here in Wisconsin to keep out side this year.

Back
Top Bottom