How embarrassing am i? As if no chicken ever laid an egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cassandra, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    One of my ancona finally started laying today. (they are almost 6 months old.)

Here is my very first ever white egg, in between the two eggs I got from my RIR fatties today. We thought it was odd... somewhat more elliptical than oval... how could that be?

[​IMG]

Mystery Solved:

[​IMG]

A double yolker. Jackpot!

Cassandra

2. zippychickens

zippychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    N. CA
    If left to hatch would a double yoke actually produce twin chicks or would they not fully develop since it's a rather small space to grow?

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
  4. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Very beautiful eggs! Congratulations! I wish my pullet would also start laying(almost 6 months old!)...... That picture of the egg being fried sure makes my mouth water....beautiful double yolks!

Speckledhen tried to hatch a double yolker but unfortunately the chicks didn't make it at hatching time, but it sure was a fun and educational adventure.

Happy laying!

5. zippychickens

zippychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    N. CA
    Thanks Arlee453, I read about Specklehen's double yoker story. Boy I wish they would have hatched, but very educational none the less.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

After 30+ years I still get excited when a pullet starts laying! [​IMG]

7. crysmom

crysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    I am still waiting I have 23 week old Chanteclers and a 25 week old cochin and no eggs yet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by