How far apart should roosts be? All the same height?

While you're adding roosts, might as well put one low enough for future chicks to use but not directly under the mature birds roosts (don't want them getting pooped on all night). It will strongly encourage the chicks to roost rather than lay on the floor and helps them further solidify their pecking order; as they age, the more dominant chicks will make their way up to roost with the others. This transition will help you in the decision process of who will be allowed to breed, who finds his way to freezer camp, etc. Since you're already adding roosts, it shouldn't be that much more work or expense.

While you're adding roosts, might as well put one low enough for future chicks to use but not directly under the mature birds roosts (don't want them getting pooped on all night). It will strongly encourage the chicks to roost rather than lay on the floor and helps them further solidify their pecking order; as they age, the more dominant chicks will make their way up to roost with the others. This transition will help you in the decision process of who will be allowed to breed, who finds his way to freezer camp, etc. Since you're already adding roosts, it shouldn't be that much more work or expense.

That's a great idea as well. Y'all are awesome. I can never get good ideas like this on Facebook chicken groups

That is very cool looking. I would love to try this.
I'm actually thinking about lowering the nest boxes and sending another board and 4' of roost across the front making it nearly a circle. But it will be the same height as the rest.
It's getting a little crowded in there.
2CAA8E144B7C_1610156630116.png

I'm actually thinking about lowering the nest boxes and sending another board and 4' of roost across the front making it nearly a circle. But it will be the same height as the rest.
It's getting a little crowded in there.
View attachment 2481722
I love it!!! I just showed my mom and she said it's a great idea. Do you happen to know what type of wood you used for the poop board itself and the roost? I want mine to be the same as yours.

I love it!!! I just showed my mom and she said it's a great idea. Do you happen to know what type of wood you used for the poop board itself and the roost? I want mine to be the same as yours.
You can use OSB or plywood. I used what was left over from the roof tear off when I converted the shed into a coop. If you click on the My Coop link under my avatar there is a page in the article that shows how I built them.

You can use OSB or plywood. I used what was left over from the roof tear off when I converted the shed into a coop. If you click on the My Coop link under my avatar there is a page in the article that shows how I built them.

Awesome thank you!! Mine won't be as pretty, but I plan to get it done within a month, especially before warm weather. I'll post it after it's done 👍♥️

Ummm I can't find it. I'm on my phone on Google chrome. Can u link it for me possibly? 😭😭

Back
Top Bottom