How far can I stretch the definition of EE

Mutt or BYM never suited her she was very elegant and well full of herself. I have been given crazy mixes before not knowing what is in them (case and point Poppy). This is what I’m going to go with for him.

Well, how a bird acts isn't really an indication of whether they are a mix breed or not. In addition, there isn't really a standard that says how a mix breed should behave

I agree on the stuff mentioned in the first part, as well as the last sentence. While technically correct, I feel like we are sugar-coating the fact that this bird is simply a mutt
Advertising is sugar coating. If a majority of companies, for instance, were actually honest, people wouldn't buy their stuff.

Thats false advertiseing you can't breed a pink layer.
Mottled Java, some Orps and Sussexes and Favorelles (others as well) lay a pink egg. It may not be a hot pink egg, but there is no other color to classify them as in the general color spectrum. Same as saying an ameraucana lays a blue egg. It isn't a ROY G BIV blue egg, but instead a baby or sky blue.

Advertising is sugar coating. If a majority of companies, for instance, were actually honest, people wouldn't buy their stuff.

Mottled Java, some Orps and Sussexes and Favorelles (others as well) lay a pink egg. It may not be a hot pink egg, but there is no other color to classify them as in the general color spectrum. Same as saying an ameraucana lays a blue egg. It isn't a ROY G BIV blue egg, but instead a baby or sky blue.
One of my ketwas lays a pink egg with white speckles. Super pretty, but the speckling washes off sadly

Its called a brown egg.....with a bloom....

I sometimes get pinkish eggs from one or more of my Australorps. 🤷 I personally consider it part of the range of brown / light brown / tan eggs, just with a heavy bloom. I guess if you had a bird or breed that consistently laid with that heavy "pink" bloom, you could say they laid a pink egg as distinct from ordinary tan, but I don't see birds laying pink bloom eggs as being legit Easter Eggery, bc the heavy bloom has zippo to do with the blue shell gene, as far as I'm aware.

This from a total newb who has never had or bred EEs, but I would agree that any EE who lays tan eggs is just a mutt, unfortunately, and an "EE" bred bird who happens to have a heavy "pink" bloom would kind of skating through on a technicality.

All that said, in that case I might personally hesitate to specify the Legbar part then, because it almost feels like false advertising, since mom wasn't carrying the blue shell gene. But you could still point out her unique coloring and crest, as well as be clear on the egg color laid, affectionately reflecting the special-ness of your hen, without coming across as misleading.

How in the world did you get one? Or however many you have?! I saw a YouTube a few years back of the rooster laughing and have wanted one ever since.
I've got a trio. My male only Chuckles though. I have a mix rooster completely unrelated tonrhe breed that laughs more than he does.

Back
Top Bottom