How far can you hear your rooster???

Crest Acres Girl

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Southern California
I have 4 acres to put my new coop, should I just put it waaaay far from the house (collecting eggs will be a pain
th.gif
)

My neighbors hate crowing
smack.gif
they think its super annoying but I love the sound, so...Whats my best choice?

How far can you hear your rooster crow? hear them well enough to be considered "annoying"

Last edited by a moderator:
That is tuff. I am zned for agriculture. I had a neighbor who was not real happy. But they have since moved. Everyone else is OK with them. In fact several have said they love hearing them.

If you are zoned to have them, then really it is up to you, but it would be nice if your neighbors were ok with it.

I have three chicken yard / houses. Silkie Chalet, Standard House and the barn. There are roosters in all locations. I have read on BYC that if you only have one, they are not as talkative. With mine, when one crows, then the others answer back.

I live on the outside of town and I had someone 5 blocks away tell me that they could hear Hercules...my Americana rooster. I had two roosters but had to give one away because they would have a crow off all day long. I'm lucky because all my neighbors love chickens too.

I live on one acre inside a subdivision. My chicken coop/run is attached to the back of our house and directly under my bedroom window. My rooster wakes me up in the morning but usually I can go back to sleep. No one has complained about him and one neighbor (who can't hear him inside her house) said they love to hear him when they're outside. He doesn't crow until it is light out, he doesn't crow very much during the day, and he never crows at night. To me, my roo is much less annoying than the dogs that some people in the 'hood leave outside and let bark all day and night.
wink.png

My coop is about 350 ft from the house...I can barely hear our BR(who is the loudest of all six guys) when in the house, unless windows are open. Neighbors say they don't mind his crow...One actually likes it.

would it be too much if I asked my neighbors if its okay for me to have roosters? lol if i limit the noise to like a certain amount of time? ( I'll just bring him inside, my house is pretty much sound proof)

We live on 10 acres and our house sit's in one corner, our coop is 400' away and I here them when in the house but only in the early morning when things are quiet. They do crow all day and are pretty vocal, I do have a neighbor that moved into a house that is right next to the coop. The people who used to own the home had some chickens and got me into it, my new neighbors which I haven't met yet haven't said anything and I think the young husband works some kind of shift work. we do live in the country, But the way I look at it is the chickens were here first, I have to have my Roosters, and this is how some country folks live, with chickens and pig's, horses etc. but if they had a problem with it I would be nice and willing to at least talk about it.

AL

Back
Top Bottom