how far to release caught mice?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by janetk, Jul 1, 2011.

1. janetk

janetk Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    I bought a catch and release mouse trap as I am scared of the potential of any other of my animals eating poison. I've caught 7 mice so far in the coop. My question is how far away from the coop should I release the little boogers? Obviously I don't want them to come back to the coop, but I don't want to walk miles either.

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Seriously?

Mice are only a threat to the feed. Move your feeder outside with the water fount and store extra feed in a metal trash can and no more reason for them to enter the coop

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Stop laughin' already! I also use live catch for mice and other critters. I usually drive 'em less than a mile away and never see 'em again.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

My chickens always got to eat the mice I caught. They LOVE them.

5. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:nothing wrong with being kind, yeah 1/2 mile away should do it...or at a persons yard you don't like.......Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry, I couldn't resist, I was laughing too hard.....but if the food and water are not in the coop, the vermin have no real reason to go in. Hope the coop is off the ground so the mice aren't living underneath. (and I'm still laughing, thanks I needed it)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  7. janetk

janetk Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    you are welcome bryan

8. gd4sumthnmom

gd4sumthnmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Northwest Montana
    We have two house cats...they are afraid of the chickens cause they are getting bigger than they are, but they catch mice like crazy!! I find presents under my car all the time!

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    they male wonderful fox bait [​IMG]

10. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Try getting a Buckeye. Mine is a WONDERFUL mouser and I've heard many others say the same. She is a vicious attack chicken! Fun to watch. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by