How good are these layers

madmantrapper

Songster
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Maryland
Before buying new chickens this year I investigated how good of layers they were. I bought 9 production reds and 9 brown leghorns. Their production was rated very high, one egg a day. I have not gotten an egg a day from any one of them. At best I will get six from the reds and 3 from the leghorns. Does anyone else experience this? I am disappointed to say the least. My best day has been 11 eggs, my worse 4 eggs, my average seven. I hate these guys for nothing. Any ideas?

How old are the birds now and how long have you had them? If they are older birds, they may not be laying much any more. If they were recently moved, they will stop laying for a while. If they are molting right now, they will stop laying for a while. If they are sick or have even minor medical issues, they can stop laying. And this time of year with the shortening of the day light, this coupled with cold days will stop them from laying.
smile.png

Are they getting enough light, quality food, water?
My red sex-links are just starting to lay and of the 6 I get 3 eggs a day.
Maybe they are just young and need time to get rolling?
Don`t be hatin` give em`time luv.

The chickens are 9 months old, they started laying at 20 to 23 weeks. I've had them since they were a day old. I've never gotten an egg a day. I have a light that provides 12 hours a day, 3 hours artifical and 9 sun light. I feed them Layena pellets. They are out for 2 to 3 hours each evening. The last chickens I had were golden comets and they gave me an egg a day for almost two years.

Quote:
I had the br. leghorns , they did not lay well for me either. the production type white leghorns lay better. The Production Red should be producing well though. Gloria Jean

How much space does each chicken have in the coop? I have 3 Red Star that started laying at just under 15 weeks and I basically have averaged 3 eggs/day ever since. One of the ladies is giving me a double yolker too. The 3 of them share 96 sq ft of space. They're in an 8' x 12' x 6' high chain link dog kennel with a coop that is on stilts. Guess what I'm trying to say is that they have lots of room and are not at all stressed about life. Eat,drink and be merry laying an egg.

Is there anything that might be stressing your hens?

the only chicken I have that gives me an egg a day is my California White...without fail, one white egg every single day.

each chicken varies, the ones you have should be laying quite regularly...unless there is a hidden nest, some stress issues, day light etc...

I'll bump it up to 14 hours and see what that does. I have 3.75 sq ft per bird floor space and roosting space for about 25. I have four nest boxes but they only use two. They have four acres to roam when they are out, plus a 600 sq ft run. I don't think they are stressed.

Back
Top Bottom