How good would marshmellow do in a show?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Teresaann24, May 14, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    My cousin is wanting to take Marshmellow to a show and show her. I am wanting to get opinions on her quality...

She is a bit of a mess but he would be cleaning her up I always leave that to him..LOL

[​IMG]

Feet
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    She's pet quality. MAYBE breeder quality, depending on who you ask and what she was paired with. I wouldn't expect to take a place in a show with her.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  3. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    How can you tell so easily that it is pet quality. Just curious. [​IMG]

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    How well she will do depends entirely upon who you show against.

Marshmellow's crest is on the small side, and her beard is not very full--that could be conditioning. She does have very nice wings that are carried high and well closed. Her tail is full and soft and carried high; she does not have vulture hocks, which is a common fault. In the last photo she has a nice stance. Her neck appears to be a bit long; her whold type is a bit too tall. Her foot featehrs are a bit of a mess--once again probably conditioning. I can't see her toes or comb well enough to critique them. Nice earlobe, skin and beak colours.

She needs to be bathed at least a couple of times (somehow with whites, once is never enough to get out all the stains), a few days apart, kept on clean shavings in between and afterwards.

5. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Thanks for the advice Sonoran, I'll let my cousin know what you have suggested. She does need a very good cleaning for sure! I also agree on her crest being on the small side..She is young about 7-8 months. Her comb is nice and flat she has no visable comb its nice a dark mulberry color.

BTW: She is a bit taller...a has a longer neck then some of my hens.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  6. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    I would fully agree, you would not be embarrassed bringing that bird to a show, once its cleaned up.

Winning would depend who else shows up [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by