How handy is a cement mixer?

BubbaLikesIt

Songster
Feb 9, 2013
I have an old Montgomery Wards cement mixer that I fixed up just for something to do. I was out feeding the chickens the other day and noticed that the oyster shell that I have is a little too big for them. I also have some granite grit that is a little large too so I was thinking that if I used the cement mixer with 5 or 6 large steel ball bearing's I could crush the rock and shell even finer. I'm a genius.
I load half a feed scoop of granite with the ball bearings and turn the mixer on medium. Mix for about 20 minutes and dump in a full scoop of oyster shell. Mix another 10 minutes and add two scoops of chicken scratch and mix for a minute more. Dump it in the bucket.

Great solution for making large grit into small, but why do you mix?

I free choice the soluble oyster shell, and insoluble granite grit, separately.
A third feeder contains their feed.

Scratch, I toss and let them scratch, mostly for my entertainment.

They seem to know what they need or want.

Great solution for making large grit into small, but why do you mix?

I free choice the soluble oyster shell, and insoluble granite grit, separately.
A third feeder contains their feed.

Scratch, I toss and let them scratch, mostly for my entertainment.

They seem to know what they need or want.

Different strokes for different folks - plenty of people prefer to mix. *Most* bags of grit and oyster shell have both options listed to either mix (with the suggested ratio) or free feed.

Quote:
Well never fear RonP, I'll splain you up.

Firstly, a lot of assumptions have been made and I am as guilty as anyone in this department. I apologize for any mis-information in the aforementioned post.

Here is the Monkey Wards cement mixer I refitted with a Honda 160 and re-welded the bottom braces and new wheels (bearing type @ 450 lbs. each.) Runs like a champ.

I use the mixer to crush granite and oyster shell into finer pieces but not powder. This I add to my chicken scratch that consists of cracked corn and milo. I add a little crushed granite and oyster shell because to digest the scratch they need a little rock to process the hard grains they are consuming. After a while, the granite builds up in their scratch area and I won't add any until I can't see it anymore then I'll start to add again and the process starts all over. The oyster shell is added because I am a good and decent chicken farmer and like everyone knows, chickens only eat what they need in most cases and I have rock and oyster shell readily available no matter if the eat it all or not.

Not only do I crush granite and oyster shell in to smaller pieces for the chicken scratch, I also used the crushed material in their feeders as seen below.

You see RonP, the truth is my chickens are spoiled. They frolic through the dill weed and onion grass eating butterflies and worms while being fed a constant diet of cantaloupe, yellow water melon and honey dew melon with vegetable cuttings thrown in for flavor. They want for nothing.

The coop I keep them in is a little on the shabby side but they are looking at a re-model in the near future.

When chickens are happy even the Pullet eggs come out great.

Again, I would like to apologize for any confusion of information there may have been in this thread and I will be sure it never happens again.

Very nice setup for your birds BubbaLikesIt.

No confusion, I just have a thirst for knowledge.

I also give grit, free choice, but do not mix.

I have 12 birds in a fully enclosed coop and 14x14 secured run.

Mind you, the flock spends their waking time, and eats, 90% outdoors, in their run.

Predator issues prevent free range activities.

I feed them fermented feed whenever possible...

I built this mostly for peace of mind, and as a backup to their outdoor fermented feed.

Three stations, 3" PVC pipes with Y fitting. Concrete 16" paver block for nail and beak maintenance. It is sitting on 2 8" cinder blocks, I use deep litter.

Middle station is for feed. Picture shows the reserve, a 5 gallon reused water bottle with the funnel, a cutoff of another 5 gallon water bottle for extra reserve. It will easily hold 30+ pounds. It probably will last well over 2 months, if used exclusively. This reserve empties straight down into the middle feeder.

Above shows the 3 stations. Far left holds Grit, middle holds Feed, far right holds Crushed Oyster shells. Far left and right are capped. 2 foot pipe probably holds over a years supply of grit and oyster shell.

Another picture of the feed reserve, I'm pretty sure I put close to 40 pounds in there.
The reserve just sits in place, no nails or glue.
Everything can come apart easily if needed.

If that's a "shabby" coop can't wait to see the remodeled version
wink.png

I'm not so sure about the remodel because the chickens are having a hard time getting the loan. The bank says they won't take eggs that haven't been laid yet as collateral.

Back
Top Bottom