How hard is it really to incubate eggs?

Do you know of anyone that has used the TSC's Farm Innovator's Pro series incubator?
I don't, but I did consider trying one after my failure with the LG. Visually, it did look a little nicer, but I don't know anything about it. Online reviews were all over the board for the Farm Innovators, and after my first experience I opted for the Brinsea, but I am hatching a lot of eggs

I don't, but I did consider trying one after my failure with the LG. Visually, it did look a little nicer, but I don't know anything about it. Online reviews were all over the board for the Farm Innovators, and after my first experience I opted for the Brinsea, but I am hatching a lot of eggs
I've been eyeing it for a while "my" bator is technically my sister's...lol Even though she was warned she'd probably not get it back....lol And the Farm Innovators looks very similar to the older version of the LG I have, same heating system. I like "my" LG and am used to it, so I wouldn't mind a like product. After our discussion on the newer LGs I know I don't want to go there.....lol

When it comes to incubators, one pays money to be lazy (and more successful).

Recommend something in the $200 range to start with. I realize that in life, simply throwing funds at a project does not make it necessarily better but it seems that with incubators, it is true.

And you can't really judge by online reviews because how do you know the bad reviews weren't by people who had no idea what they were doing? lol
That's exactly what I meant by all over the board. If you saw one of my first posts on BYC, I fully admitted that most of the failure of the LG was user error. I could do better with it now, but with a full time job I don't think I would ever have the confidence to hatch with the LG that I do with the Brinsea. I am very impressed that you hatch so well with it. I had to spend $400 to be able to match your success, but that's why I don't recommend the LG for first timers. It was my first experience trying to hatch, and it almost discouraged me from trying again at all.
Now if czais does go ahead and buy the LG, what I would say is don't get discouraged if your first hatch isn't successful. Humidity isn't that hard to maintain, it's just knowing which humidity works for you and how to measure it. Temperature fluctuations are harder to nail down, but AmyLynn has figured that out, you could too. Like I said, you will learn more with every hatch

Do you consider yourself to be, in any way, shape, or fashion, a DIYer? Do you have a spare afternoon? Can you re-wire a lamp if given instructions? If so, you can build an excellent incubator for around $20 - 30.00.

That's exactly what I meant by all over the board. If you saw one of my first posts on BYC, I fully admitted that most of the failure of the LG was user error. I could do better with it now, but with a full time job I don't think I would ever have the confidence to hatch with the LG that I do with the Brinsea. I am very impressed that you hatch so well with it. I had to spend $400 to be able to match your success, but that's why I don't recommend the LG for first timers. It was my first experience trying to hatch, and it almost discouraged me from trying again at all.
Now if czais does go ahead and buy the LG, what I would say is don't get discouraged if your first hatch isn't successful. Humidity isn't that hard to maintain, it's just knowing which humidity works for you and how to measure it. Temperature fluctuations are harder to nail down, but AmyLynn has figured that out, you could too. Like I said, you will learn more with every hatch
I never recommend the LG for busy people, especially first hatcher busy people cause it really is a bator that especially that first hatch, has to watched. My first hatch was a failure because of a faulty thermometer, and I almost gave up. I had decided I was never trying again, but I am glad I changed my mind. It's definitely more for the stay at home person, someone who is able to monitor it. Heck, even with it in a place that it holds pretty darn steady I am still up 2-3 times a night just to check on it because of their reputation alone for spikes. It's usually fine, but I am always scared it'll shoot up in the night.

Wow, jusr wow, thanks for all the super advice. Is there a tread on incubators? And how about buying a used one? is thread on building one?

Back
Top Bottom