How hard is it really to incubate eggs?

Wow, jusr wow, thanks for all the super advice. Is there a tread on incubators? And how about buying a used one? is thread on building one?
Yes, yes, and yes....lol

THere are threads on just about everything imaginable. There are plenty of threads on specific incubators as well and a couple good DIY threads that show a multitude of different DIY that people have made. Just type what you are looking for in the search at the top and your bound to get a ton of related threads.

When it comes to incubators, one pays money to be lazy (and more successful).

Recommend something in the $200 range to start with. I realize that in life, simply throwing funds at a project does not make it necessarily better but it seems that with incubators, it is true.
Along these lines, I would definitely look at the Brinsea Eco 20. It doesn't have the digital display, but it doesn't have the huge price tag, either. It costs just a little more than a styrobator with all the bells and whistles, and is a snap to clean

Well, I've hand turned and in the beginning had very good results but found as the years went by I became lazy at it. Once I got an auto turner for my Hovabator w/ fan and got 100% hatch from my flocks eggs. That said I do recommend an auto turner but they are not necessary. Even if you had one you'd still have to hand turn the turkey eggs or buy rails for the auto turner that fit turkey eggs.

Most local farm supply and TSC don't stock Hovabator. It the best bang for your buck styrofoam table top unit. The gas filled wafer thermostat used is as dependable as it gets. As for thermometer and hygromter you can pick up a combo unit at Walmart or like I did get a good one used for cigar humidors for about $15 that you can calibrate the humidity reading. I use the temp as a quick reference but when initially setting the incubator and checking now and then use an oral thermometer down through the vent hole. We've all got oral thermometers at home and they are accurate. If digital oral thermometer you've got to check the low temp swing as the incubator will fluctuate some turning on and off and the digital orals are too sensitive for one reading; average lowest reading and highest reading to determine temp.

Ebay is a great source for shopping in my opinion unless you can find one locally to save shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-G-Q-F-H...420?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234ca8d15c

And my kids really enjoy the picture window model:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GQF-Manufac...767?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item589c4225af

I'd use one of these without auto turner first year and decide if you want one. All the auto turner brands fit all the table top styrofoam incubators. Meaning you can pick up an inexpensive Little Giant turner at TSC and it fits in your Hovabator.

This is the thermometer/hygrometer that I use:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HygroSet-II...061?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c98032965

You could even check your local craigslist. I bought mine from a local guy that had 2 and decided he didn't need them both. (Its a chinese Janoel knock-off, holds 48 eggs with turner and fan)

I'd also like to add that any thermometer and hygrometer you get should be tested!! Google how to test them. Both are quite easy. But I've bought probably 6 of each, trying to get accuracy. Usually the more accurate ones = more expensive.

I'm surviving with 3 in my incubator, plus the ones on the unit. I know one hygrometer reads about 10% low, another thermometer fluctuates alot, and another one is a bit low. But all in all, I know what ballpark I'm in.

Oh, and I'll repeat what someone else said... incubating is highly addictive! I have 7 ducks due in one week and I'm already debating what goes in next! Also started out with 4 turkeys, one was infertile, and had 2 quitters, but one is doing great!

Good luck!

You could even check your local craigslist. I bought mine from a local guy that had 2 and decided he didn't need them both. (Its a chinese Janoel knock-off, holds 48 eggs with turner and fan)

I'd also like to add that any thermometer and hygrometer you get should be tested!! Google how to test them. Both are quite easy. But I've bought probably 6 of each, trying to get accuracy. Usually the more accurate ones = more expensive.

I'm surviving with 3 in my incubator, plus the ones on the unit. I know one hygrometer reads about 10% low, another thermometer fluctuates alot, and another one is a bit low. But all in all, I know what ballpark I'm in.

Oh, and I'll repeat what someone else said... incubating is highly addictive! I have 7 ducks due in one week and I'm already debating what goes in next! Also started out with 4 turkeys, one was infertile, and had 2 quitters, but one is doing great!

Good luck!
I also use 3 thermometers in my bator.

Along these lines, I would definitely look at the Brinsea Eco 20. It doesn't have the digital display, but it doesn't have the huge price tag, either. It costs just a little more than a styrobator with all the bells and whistles, and is a snap to clean

Yeah that is a good one, my recommendation for most folks is the Hovabator 1588 forced air w/ turner because I have always had great hatches with it.

Brinsea incubators are great though.

Go to Rush Lane poultry. He's got lots of tutorials about home builts. Just do a google search on any little topic that interests you, and you'll find an avalanche of materials. It's then up to you to sift and sort to find the info that will suit your needs!

Back
Top Bottom