how hard is it REALLY to take care of ducks???

Quote:
A couple would be ok, even if you're busy. The problem is would you be able to shut them up at night? Would you be able to give them at least a couple of feedings a day? Mine get fed about 8am and 5pm. Although you can have an automatic feeder and it would be easier.

Hatching duck eggs is pretty easy, you just have to be able to turn them AT LEAST 3 times a day. Mine get turned 3-4 times a day. The only difficult ones to hatch are Muskovey so I don't recommend those for a beginner.

yes i would be able to shut them up at night, as they would be right in my backyard and i would imagine i would be able to give them a feeding in the morning and definitely food in the afternoon when i get home. but if i couldnt get them food in the morning, would it be okay to give them i few feedings when i get home? and i am a very inventive teenager, so im looking for a way to have an automatic door opener... but im still working on that lol

yes everyone dont worry im not going to release domestic ducks into the wild!!! i would never. anyways so if i fed them in the afternoon a few times how would that be?im trying to figure out a way for an auto door opener/ auto feeder

If you cannot be home and require an automatic feed and waterer....then don't do ducks (or chickens) You are young and experimental. but keep in mind, you are involving some lives that depend on YOU.

Quote:
yes i would be able to shut them up at night, as they would be right in my backyard and i would imagine i would be able to give them a feeding in the morning and definitely food in the afternoon when i get home. but if i couldnt get them food in the morning, would it be okay to give them i few feedings when i get home? and i am a very inventive teenager, so im looking for a way to have an automatic door opener... but im still working on that lol

yes everyone dont worry im not going to release domestic ducks into the wild!!! i would never. anyways so if i fed them in the afternoon a few times how would that be?im trying to figure out a way for an auto door opener/ auto feeder

They MUST be let out early AM, and MUST be fed at that time. They also MUST be fed in the afternoon, not several times in the afternoon or they will gorge themselves. OR you have an automatic feeder they will learn to pace themselves or have a friend or neighbor feed them. Or don't have ducks, period! There are auto feeders of all kinds you can buy, as well as auto doors. Figure that out before you become the owner of ducks or chickens, PERIOD!!

The ducks and chickens get let out around 8 here (That ways they lay their eggs INSIDE and not OUTSIDE)
Then I procede to clean and refill waterers and make sure all feeders are filled and sometimes they are really lucky and get a treat!

You have to be there 24/7/365.

I'm also considering ducks, just a couple of Muscovies. I want them to live with my 6 chickens (all hens) in the 16x16 covered hen yard with 12x8 coop attached. I plan to add a water source to the covered run for the ducks to swim in. So a few questions:
1. Does anyone have experience with this type of set up (ducks, chickens living together)? I plan to lock the ducks in with the chickens inside the coop at night.
2. I free-feed Purina Layena (non-medicated) to my chickens. If the ducks eat this, will they become ill? I can supplement with an automated feeder with duck-only food, but the chickens will probably want to nibble that, too. Suggestions?
3. I don't want to raise ducklings, so are two females usally going to get along OK?
4. Any other information I should know? No flaming, please. I'm coming to the experts for advice!

Thanks! I'll continue reading the thread to see if I can find other good information.
Carol

Ok...as for ducks gorging themselves...
Mine have free access to their feed 24/7. I have never seen a duck gorge itself. Now they do get greedy over greens, but as for their feed...just get a feeder and make sure the feeder will stay dry with some sort of enclosure and don't stress about it.

Ducks and chickens can get along, but ducks are messy. If you take precautions, it isn't a big problem. Several people with both ducks and chickens simply put a waterer up where only the chickens can get to it so the ducks don't muck it up.

As for ducks not laying many eggs, that totally depends on breed. Mine lay like crazy. I have Welsh Harlequins. While they can go broody, they wont if you collect eggs daily. Runners and Khaki Campbells lay like mad too (300+ eggs per year) and usually do not retain the brooding instinct.

When it comes to feed, I use game bird feed. I am in the minority though. I prefer to offer calcium free choice separately because I also have a drake.

I don't see where the original poster said anything about turning loose or rehoming at the end of the summer - but wanting to get a good start on them over the summer ....

I personally do not feed my ducks numerous times a day. they, along with my chickens get to free range during the day and then I also have a large bowl of food that I fill in the morning and leave out during the day (which most of the time it is not even empty when I get home 12 hours later). I have had ducks for a couple years now, and never had an issue with doing this - although I am NO expert on birds!!! They also even receive a little bread as a treat every morning from my husband. This might not be "ideal" but at the same time it has worked for me and many others. I do not even lock mine up at night - of course once I had a predator problem, they were getting locked up in the coop at night - till said predator was terminated.

As far as the original question on hard to take care of - except for the fact that they are disgusting little creatures when it comes to feces, they are very easy for me, at least. They have a pool to play in, room to graze and pick bugs, they get their food, and they do an awesome job of keeping the bugs down :) I love them and would never be without a few.

I have Scovey in the bator now. But I have not been good about turning them - in honesty - they are in a back room and I tend to forget they are back there - so end up turning 1-3 times a day depending on the day. I lock them down on the 9th to hatch on the 12th - and am excited to see what I get - if anything although I have seen movement in some of the eggs ;-)

Last edited:
my scovies also are laying awesome! They are just turning a year old next month and they are on their 2nd and 3rd brood already for the year. I think if I would have pulled the hatchlings from May - she would be laying again already! I average 12 - 18 eggs per clutch

My misunderstanding, I'm really sorry. I've known several people who do this, and I never knew it was illegal.

I do not release my ducks.

Again, sorry.
hit.gif

I feel extremely stupid.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom