How hard is it to raise chicks

mrsgibber

Songster
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Bolton, CT
I am thinking of ordering baby day olds from a hatchery. I only want five or six. But once I get them home how difficult is it to raise them?

Very easy. Dip their beaks in water as soon as they get there to get them drinking. Put down some chick starter crumbles. Get a brooder light to keep them warm.
Keep brooder clean. Keep fresh water in front of them. Feed them well. That's it!
I don't use a thermometer in my brooders, I just watch the chicks to see if they comfortable. Chicks crowded together under the light? They are cold, lower light. Chicks crowded together way away from the light? They are hot, raise the lamp some. Chicks spread out doing their own things or sleeping peacefully? Just right.

Good luck!

Way more fun than Sea monkeys! Keep them clean and warm food and water,I advise using bottled or real clean water though.Alot of tap water has ecsess salt and chlorine that can cause problems and make sure your chick starter food is ground up finer than grape nuts for the first week.Just like anybaby,they poop and grow.

I had never even SEEN a chicken in real life and I got 25 to start. Sold half of that crew and raised the remaining. All mine are still alive
wink.png
You will fall in love with them and NEED more! I have two chicken coops now and were working on a third one
gig.gif
My hubby even fell for the little fuzzy butts
celebrate.gif

If you visit this thread it will have all the info you will ever need to raise chicks. Good luck and enjoy the addiction! I have! Even -30 degree weather didn't keep me away from my babies
big_smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=409847#p409847

It really isn't hard! Like HanginWitMyPeeps, we went straight for 25 as total newbies, and were very successful.

All the posters here care about our birds and fuss over them and worry about the smallest things to keep them healthy (me included!) but honestly, they're quite hardy and very easy to raise.

A clean brooder, a heat lamp, and a full feeder and waterer, and they're good to go!

Easy. Look at photos of brooders on this site for ideas. They need chick starter, a chick waterer (with a few marbles in the drinking area for the first week to get them to peck at the water and make sure they don't drown), some bedding and a heat light.

Chicks are heartier than you'd think.

They also have a tiny water trough waterer that you can use made for baby chicks to eliminate the marbles which I found to get real slimy real quick
sickbyc.gif
That way you don't have to wash each marble or rock each time you clean the waterer.

It's all about consistancy. Being happy to do the daily tasks required to care for them properly in exchange for the entertainement and eggs they provide. There are things you can do to make it easier like getting informed, educated, and having a plan for what to do if things go badly, and a plan for winter care. If you generally enjoy being at home puttering with small tasks, learning new things, planning for and investing in the future, you are the perfect chicken person.

I recommend reading BYC's Learning Center. I also enjoyed Hobson & Lewis' book Keeping Chickens. I got it from a friend. It is a really good book for someone looking at chickens as pets or for eggs.

Just do it & don't overthink things!

Back
Top Bottom