How healthy are hatchery chickens?

Hybrids are almost universally hardier because they don't suffer from genetic bottlenecking. I personally try to avoid purebred animals out of compassion. So many chickens suffer from terrible inbreeding
Here's hoping my dominant coppers are hardier then. Still hatchery stock, but at least I've found some local breeders now here. I was going to breed black sex links eventually for myself. Got some RIRs roosters growing now, hoping to use the best one. Going to need new barred rock hens though, I don't want to breed my remaining one. She's a solid "meh".

What is a production hybrid? Like golden comets/cinnamon queen and other high producing hybrids? The other person's blue Plymouths I would think wouldn't be high production.
Generally, most hatchery hybrids are bred towards production. Even what we consider to be non production breeds do lay more from hatcheries than a show breeder which would focus on other traits.

This last one had 1 day of acting weird where was sat a lot panting with wings loose with her tail kind of down, then was acting normal by the end of the day. She laid an egg that day, then the next, then no egg for 2 days and died the day after. That entire time she did everything as normal up until she keeled over. Now that day she was acting weird I wondered if she was egg bound or something, but she laid eggs, wasn't pumping, wasn't doing the penguin walk, wasn't straining, poop was normal, and she wasn't lethargic. So maybe some kind of internal reproductive issue? She looked perfectly healthy on the outside.

Second chicken I have no idea what happened because I was out of town for 2 nights, chickens were being watched by a neighbor. The day I was coming home she was apparently getting lethargic and just keeled over dead by the run door, looked healthy as could be and laid an egg the day before based on what was collected. I didn't feel anything weird when I examined the body.

First chicken seemed to be a crop issue, presented both like sour crop and a bit like impacted crop, tried treating for a few days but we lost her.

Super frustrated, they have a safe enclosure with clean water, balanced layer pellets, oyster shell grit, shade, wading pool in the heat. They've never had mites, lice or anything else. No bumblefoots or pecking or anything. Just fine, healthy seeming chickens and then something goes wrong.
Oh dear. I'm so sorry :-( are they outside in the heat? sounds like they got heat exhaustion....barn/building with an ac is a must

Last year in June I got 4 barred rock pullets from a local co-op, I assume they came from a hatchery but no idea which one. It's been about 14 months and 3 of the 4 have died to different, weird internal things that I assume are maybe genetic based? How poor are hatchery genetics in general?
Competition forces hatcheries to breed only their best layers(production breeds)

Very few breeders, either hatchery or show, select for longevity. It's most economical to breed birds who are 12 to 18 months of age, not older. So, having breeders who are older just is much less likely to happen. Ask your private breeders how they manage their breeding flocks! This selects for birds who may or may not 'live long and prosper'. And generally many hatchery hens will of any breed will be better egg produces than birds raised to 'look pretty' regardless of egg production.
Many hens are dying by three years of age, regardless of management. Obviously, poor diet/ management doesn't help!
Mary

Oh dear. I'm so sorry :-( are they outside in the heat? sounds like they got heat exhaustion....barn/building with an ac is a must
No its not
.we have had 3 straight weeks of temps at 98 to 103 with 75-95% humidity meaning heat index over 110,up to 118

Mine have no AC, one fan, tons of water, mud puddles, shade no matter where the sun is..i have everything from day old chicks through 2 year olds..

You get into more issues with AC.. now if i were in pheonix.. i might use a swamp cooler ( not a c but does cool an area ,doesnt work in high humidity areas)

Back
Top Bottom