1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How high can a large fowl chicken jump or fly in 3ft?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FirstTimeFlock, May 1, 2017.

1. FirstTimeFlock

FirstTimeFlock Out Of The Brooder

I am currently renovating an existing coop for my new little flock. They are 7 weeks old & include 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2 Speckled Sussexes & 2 Easter Eggers (1 of which may need to be rehomed cause it's looking like it's a cockerel.)

I would like to build some roosts with poop trays underneath (preferably removable) in the reno'd coop. (The former coop had no roosts.) I would also like to utilize the space under the roosts, but am wondering how much that will actually be once I add my deep litter. I was thinking that the birds likely wouldn't be able to jump or fly very high (not now nor when they are full grown) in the approximately 30" clearance area that they have & had thought to put the first roost around 2ft off of the "ground" (top of litter), but that doesn't leave a lot of space to utilize underneath. Can I go higher? 4'?

Any thoughts or experiences you'd like to share would be appreciated.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    They could indeed get to the roosts at such a height, assuming they have some space to launch from.

Why deep litter AND a poop board?

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I've a wee coop in small growout pen. It's chest to neck high so over 4 ft and both, large fowl cock birds and hens, get on it with only 3 ft of room from coop to pen wall.

But then I don't clip wings and you say you do. They are using flapping to get that high, not jumping by itself.

1 person likes this.
  5. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    My girls get up and down from this with no problems. Plenty of headroom underneath. (Yardstick for reference.)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    My roosts are three, four, and eight feet high, and there are birds roosting on all of them every night. I use deep litter, and don't bother with poop trays; just looks like extra work to me. Mary

7. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

8. FirstTimeFlock

CTKen, I am new to this chicken thing & thought that would be the best way to help manage the poop & the smells without it being a big daily chore. From what I've been reading now, tho, it sounds like if I put in poop boards, I should only have a minimal amount of poop on the coop floor.
    My other thought /concern is that my chickens are still young & probably won't use the roosts for a while because of their height, so either I need to deal with poop on the floor or I need to build temporary roosts with poop trays underneath.

9. FirstTimeFlock

Hokum Coco... Thanks. We currently have our chickens in a built in run so no plans to clip wings at present. (Although I love the idea of free ranging our birds, my husband & I both work & I worry about the dangers they'd be subjected to we're away working.)
    Our nesting boxes & roosts will be on opposite walls. The nesting boxes will be built into the short wall near the door so that I can access the nest boxes without entering the coop. The roosts will be built on the longest wall. I had been considering having the 2 roosts at different heights. I don't think I will have enough space to put 3 levels of roosts in there tho. I do love the idea of having the poop trays close to the roosts in case of egg laying & will be looking at how best to incorporate that with 2 different levels of roosts.
    Thanks for your input! I will check out the video in a bit!

10. FirstTimeFlock

Thanks, Egghead Jr. We aren't currently clipping or chickens wings & if we do decide to free range, it will be a modified chicken tractor version of free ranging so wrong clipping shouldn't be needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by