How high can chicks jump?

margali

Songster
10 Years
Nov 13, 2011
I am using my dog's old crate as a brooded for my 6 chicks I am getting tonight. The only spot to secure a branch for a perch is 5" off the floor pan. Is this too high? I could have the branch slant from the floor to 5" up if that would work better.

I have cardboard a foot high around the bottom of the cage. I got a 125W clear heat lamp and it is setup so corner with the perch is 95oF. The water bottle (rabbit bottle) is hung on opposite corner with spout sticking through the cardboard. Does my setup sound okay?
Can't wait till work is done today!!!

Margali

Sounds good! They'll jump up 5" in just a few days if they don't at first. Just be sure it's a fair amount cooler in the opposite corner.

When I had that kind of waterer, I had to tap it and show them it gave water, but they did catch on quickly.

Sounds good. My chicks are 3 weeks old and easily hop up to perch on a dowel about 18" off the ground. 5" is no problem.

They try to fly pretty early.Mine are about the same age and was filling their feed and water yesterday. Heard a noise behind me and one was perched on the bar I hang the feed and water from about 18 inches off the floor of the brooder. You better have a lid on the brooder or the're not going to stay in there long.

You better have a lid on the brooder or the're not going to stay in there long.

It is a dog crate so has a lid. I'm may need to put cardboard over the whole thing though if they jump that quick. I have the cardboard up about a foot high on all the sides. The wires are about 3 inches apart so they would fit through if they jumped on the edge of the cardboard and tried to get out.

The only thing that I question in your setup is the clear heat lamp. I use a red heat lamp. I have heard that a clear lamp 24 hours a day can cause pecking. I have never tried a clear one. You will see a lot of differing opinions here on BYC on what to use for a heat lamp.

Back
Top Bottom