How high is to high for a roost?

Mskayladog

Songster
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
New Salisbury, Indiana, First flock
Hubby put in a emergency roost incase something gets in the coop it's hanging from the middle of the barn and is 8 ft off the floor:rolleyes: I am not a happy chick mommy I'm afraid they will breack a leg or something if they hop off it to the floor.

Edited cause of auto correct lol

Last edited:
I have roosts inside the coop that are 4', 6' and 8' (rafter).
Mine have no problems with the higher heights.
None of them use the 4' roost.
Some of them will use the 6' roost and they all want to use the 8' roost.
It's a natural instinct for them to want to roost as high as they can.
smile.png

I have 3 chickens who have abandoned their coop for my feed barn and roost in the roof trusses about 14 or 15 feet above the floor. They LOVE it up there and either fly up, down or climb a stack of something up to one truss then hop/fly until they are on the one that just 'feels' right to them for the night.

i just built my roosts today, i built it like a ladder...but put it up on 4 legs laying vertical. was told to do this so they wouldnt fight for the top. my question is. my coop is only about 6.5 ft tall inside, the roost is 50", as to be higher than the nesting boxes, but its also about even with the windows. i was hoping to be able to leave the windows open for the most part for the rest of the summer. is that gonna be to drafty on them at night?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom