How high should my fence be?

Aug 5, 2021
Copperas Cove, TX
Hello ya'll!
I am fencing off an area that is 14 ft wide and 75 ft long for my chickens to run around in outside of their coop because I cannot just let them run around unfortunately because I have dogs. Right now they get some free range time when I put the goats in in their pen. So I was thinking to fence off and area and put two coops in it for now until a can get 1 big one. And get about 8 more hens. I have 2 right now. My question is..how high does the fence need to be to keep them in their area? So far I can only find 4ft chicken wire.
Thanks!

Hello ya'll!
I am fencing off an area that is 14 ft wide and 75 ft long for my chickens to run around in outside of their coop because I cannot just let them run around unfortunately because I have dogs. Right now they get some free range time when I put the goats in in their pen. So I was thinking to fence off and area and put two coops in it for now until a can get 1 big one. And get about 8 more hens. I have 2 right now. My question is..how high does the fence need to be to keep them in their area? So far I can only find 4ft chicken wire.
Thanks!
I've had a chicken flu over a 6ft fence. My run is covered with netting to keep the chickens in and raptors and owls out. I've heard from others though that a write fence is better than a wood fence. Apparently if the chickens cannot perch on it they don't want to risk flying over it. Write is too thin and will flex under their weight if they did try to perch on it. Many have luck with 4ft wire held up with t-posts. Just make sure it's sturdy enough to keep the dogs out. You may have to last a shirt of wire around the perimeter to Ledbetter dogs from digging. 14x75 is a large area area for 2 hens, and even for 10. That said, don't overcrowd the run because you'll just motivate the birds to escape.

I put mine together on a shoe string budget but it's working so far. I have 4ft wire fencing attached to t posts and then at every t post I attached an 8ft tall piece of wood (we had dozens and dozens of fallen trees and branches after the ice storm last spring). Over the top of the wood "posts" I attached game bird netting and zip tied it to the top of the wire fence so there are no places for my chickens to sneak through. If you go this route make sure you buy game bird netting and not the netting you wrap a fruit tree in. The game bird netting is made of much stronger material and could survive the necessary wrestling to get it into place. I bought mine from Amazon (25x50ft for less than $40). For some people money isn't a factor and they can/want to build fort Knox for their birds but I have a hard time rationalizing that kind of expense when something like this will work and only cost about $140 for everything involved.

I put mine together on a shoe string budget but it's working so far. I have 4ft wire fencing attached to t posts and then at every t post I attached an 8ft tall piece of wood (we had dozens and dozens of fallen trees and branches after the ice storm last spring). Over the top of the wood "posts" I attached game bird netting and zip tied it to the top of the wire fence so there are no places for my chickens to sneak through. If you go this route make sure you buy game bird netting and not the netting you wrap a fruit tree in. The game bird netting is made of much stronger material and could survive the necessary wrestling to get it into place. I bought mine from Amazon (25x50ft for less than $40). For some people money isn't a factor and they can/want to build fort Knox for their birds but I have a hard time rationalizing that kind of expense when something like this will work and only cost about $140 for everything involved.
Except the t-posts... those are not cheap here at least.
I did something similar for my ducks and used netting attached to 6ft high reeds that are tied to a 3ft tall feve around the duck pen. The ducks don't fly after the first few months because they get too fat but I need to deter possums. I used the cheap bird being because the possums don't like wrestling with it either. Works like a charm so far. Pains attacks were in the winter though and I get this up early Spring so the coming months will be the real trial.

I've had a chicken flu over a 6ft fence. My run is covered with netting to keep the chickens in and raptors and owls out. I've heard from others though that a write fence is better than a wood fence. Apparently if the chickens cannot perch on it they don't want to risk flying over it. Write is too thin and will flex under their weight if they did try to perch on it. Many have luck with 4ft wire held up with t-posts. Just make sure it's sturdy enough to keep the dogs out. You may have to last a shirt of wire around the perimeter to Ledbetter dogs from digging. 14x75 is a large area area for 2 hens, and even for 10. That said, don't overcrowd the run because you'll just motivate the birds to escape.
Yeah it will be over 1000 sqft so it should be big enough. And I am not going over 10 hens. I do plan on putting some sort of cover over it. My dogs are really small and don't jump. They are not diggers either but I do have one that loves to chase so as long as I can keep the chickens in their area they should be fine.

Except the t-posts... those are not cheap here at least.
I did something similar for my ducks and used netting attached to 6ft high reeds that are tied to a 3ft tall feve around the duck pen. The ducks don't fly after the first few months because they get too fat but I need to deter possums. I used the cheap bird being because the possums don't like wrestling with it either. Works like a charm so far. Pains attacks were in the winter though and I get this up early Spring so the coming months will be the real trial.
I bought all my t posts from different people on Craigslist (about $2 each). They're the nice strong farm ones, not the flimsy kind I've seen at home depot. I spaced them 8ft apart and pounded them in with a post driver.

Awesome! I do have a budget.
I ordered a deer net to use for predators above, so that will be my roof so to speak. I got 5ft chicken wire and 10 t posts. Hopefully that will work. One day i hope to build a big coop/ shed but for now there will be 2 different ones in their area. Sheds are expensive!

Back
Top Bottom