1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How high should perch be?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wilobrookfarms, Oct 15, 2011.

1. wilobrookfarms

wilobrookfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    How high/or low should my perches be for a mixed flock of LF and Banties? I just finished my coop except for the internals?

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

It should be around 2 feet off the ground.[​IMG] 1 1/2 feet for smaller bantams.

3. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, I'd definitely put them higher than your nest boxes. I have roosts at around 4' and 5 1/2 ' with a ladder and two ramps for them to use. Even my seabrights and silkie love to get as high as possible, even roosting in-between the rafters on the top plate of the wall. However, if ya put high roosts be sure you have the room for them to fly down and land safely. My hen house is 10' x 12'. Good luck.
    Erik

4. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    mine are about 3 ft to get them above my nest box. Maybe you could make like a step up perch or a ramp for the little ones to use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by