1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How high should the nest boxes be off the ground

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Canarygirl, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Canarygirl

Canarygirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2007
    We are first time chicken people. In fact we don't have the chickens yet, still building the coop. The coop is 8' x 12' and we plan to get 3 hens and 1 rooster. Opingtons. My husband is building the nest boxes for them and want to install them. Please let us know. Thanks

2. hypnojessi

hypnojessi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    Troy, MO
    18-20 inches off the ground

3. shandea

shandea Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2007
    Newbie here... just wondering why they need to be raised?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That's a good question.

I would think it makes it harder for ground predators to get them, keeps them slightly cleaner, and feels safer for the hen....

I don't use raised boxes and my hens lay directly on the ground in their hutch. I've had no problems with this and get plenty of eggs.

5. ebbtide

ebbtide Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2007
    Florida
    It will also help keep them off the floor so they wont get stepped on and broken. Here's a pic of our boxes if it helps.
    They are 20" from the bottom.
    [​IMG]

6. hypnojessi

hypnojessi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    Troy, MO
    having them raised helps keep the chickens from scratching in them and possibly breaking the eggs

7. cornishman

cornishman Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2007
    just don't put them up higher than your roost pole...they will poo all over your nest...got a couple to move cause of that. cornishman.[​IMG]

8. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Cornishman is right. If you have your nests higher than your roosts, your birds will prefer to roost on (or in front of) the nests. Chickens always want to roost in the highest spot, if possible. (This means that a snapshot of your ladder-style roosts will often also be a snapshot of the current pecking order--with the most IMPORTANT birds at the top!)

As to why the nests should be up off the ground? I think it's also because hens like to nest in out-of-the way spots. If your nest is right on the floor, she may not feel she has enough privacy. On the other hand, just when you think you've provided them the best, safest spot for laying, they may choose another one in your favorite planter that's not half as nice, by your standards. Those gol-danged chickens. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by