how high should the run fence be?

I think it will work with snow load. I was figuring mine today. If I space the 1" electrical conduit bows about 30 inches part across my 10 wide kennel/pen. I think it will work using a bigger hole wire like a 2x2 hole. Yes small animals like squirrels will be able to get in , but the wire will stop racoons and hawks. Plus using a 2x2 hole type wire will help hold less snow then a typical 1" chicken wire mesh. I'm going to try it on my 10 x 40 pen.
'

We started out attempting to use 3/4"PVC 8' long. That produced too high of an arch on a 7' wide run. We trimmed it down to 7'6" and that worked much better. Spreading at the top of the kennel caused some loss of arch, and if I ever do it again I will add some horizontals at the top to restrain the top of the kennel from bowing outward. As GeogiaGail said our hardware clotch was 3', so the PVC is spaced the same. I would put the horizontals about every 6' to avoid the spread. In a 15' run that would only require 2 horizontals and would make the entire structure more uniform and stiffen the whole structure.

Love this we have to do the same thing, but one side of ours is a metal building. We will have to run a pipe across the side of the building to attach the wire to, I'm guessing. Plus we need shade, will have to use shade c. until we can get a tree planted this fall. Wish I could post pictures so you guys could give me ideas, I'm still to new. I love this site everyone taking the time to post pictures to help each other!! The whole world should HAVE to have chickens!! WORLD PEACE!!

The PVC poles were attached to the top rail of the kennel with these:

84140_img_0850.jpg

You find them in the chain link fencing section at the local Lowes/Home Depot, etc. (where ever chain link fencing parts are sold). Each one runs under $1.50. Make sure the bolts that come with them are long enough to fit the nut that also comes with. Ours weren't so we purchased 2 inch long carriage bolts.

Gail
I’m new to all of this & don’t have much help available so bear with me if I sound stupid.
I have 10’x10’x6’ kennel & going to put wiring overtop to predator proof it. I was wanting to put something like this on top because Ohio can get a lot of snow sometimes. My questions are :
What size PVC ? Do you drill holes for the bolt to go thru or does the bolts hold the PVC once tightened? Would a shorter piece of PVC going underneath in the opposite direction help with snow load ?
Thank you for any info you can give me. It would greatly be appreciated.

I’m new to all of this & don’t have much help available so bear with me if I sound stupid.
I have 10’x10’x6’ kennel & going to put wiring overtop to predator proof it. I was wanting to put something like this on top because Ohio can get a lot of snow sometimes. My questions are :
What size PVC ? Do you drill holes for the bolt to go thru or does the bolts hold the PVC once tightened? Would a shorter piece of PVC going underneath in the opposite direction help with snow load ?
Thank you for any info you can give me. It would greatly be appreciated.
Hi! This thread hasn't been posted on in a while but i'll see if i can help :)
I would guess that that is 1'' pvc, but you will need to get whatever size fits in the connectors you buy. The pvc in oppsoite direction wouldnt do squat IMO, are you looking for a rain cover or a predator proof run? The pvc dosen't appear to be held in by the bolts, just the tension of being bent. Hope this helps, feel free to ask anything else i missed.

Back
Top Bottom