how high should the run fence be?

rhpues

Songster
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
Timmonsville sc
I will be starting my run next week. Is 6ft high enough for the run? Can a chicken fly over that? I plan on using chicken wire dog pens connected to make an 8x 16 run.

Thanks in advance

The PVC poles were attached to the top rail of the kennel with these:

84140_img_0850.jpg

You find them in the chain link fencing section at the local Lowes/Home Depot, etc. (where ever chain link fencing parts are sold). Each one runs under $1.50. Make sure the bolts that come with them are long enough to fit the nut that also comes with. Ours weren't so we purchased 2 inch long carriage bolts.

Gail

Love this we have to do the same thing, but one side of ours is a metal building. We will have to run a pipe across the side of the building to attach the wire to, I'm guessing. Plus we need shade, will have to use shade c. until we can get a tree planted this fall. Wish I could post pictures so you guys could give me ideas, I'm still to new. I love this site everyone taking the time to post pictures to help each other!! The whole world should HAVE to have chickens!! WORLD PEACE!!

Make it taller than you are so you can stand up in it. LOL! Mine is just under 5 ft tall and I'm 5'2", DH Is 6ft. Not too comfy for us.
If you can enclose the top, that would be my recommendation. That will ensure they don't fly out. If you choose not to enclose it, I'd clip their wings. Some folks on this board have said that their chickens can make it over a 6ft fence with no problems.

We followed what a couple of others have posted here regarding the top of the run; added PVC pipe a bit longer than the width of the run to bow it out. Gave the top an airy feel. Our dog kennel run was already six feet high but if someone had a kennel that was only, say five feet high doing a bowed roof would give you extra room, especially when you're talking about an 8 by 16 foot run.

84140_img_0847.jpg

Our run was 7 feet wide so we cut the PVC to 7 1/2 feet. Eight feet made it seem too high since the run was already six feet tall and would require more hardware cloth. Here is how we worked each section:

84140_img_0826.jpg

Attached the end section by first attaching it to the rail of the kennel, then the last PVC pipe, then trimming the extra.

84140_img_0883.jpg

Hope this helps.

Gail

The PVC poles were attached to the top rail of the kennel with these:

84140_img_0850.jpg

You find them in the chain link fencing section at the local Lowes/Home Depot, etc. (where ever chain link fencing parts are sold). Each one runs under $1.50. Make sure the bolts that come with them are long enough to fit the nut that also comes with. Ours weren't so we purchased 2 inch long carriage bolts.

Gail
I’m new to all of this & don’t have much help available so bear with me if I sound stupid.
I have 10’x10’x6’ kennel & going to put wiring overtop to predator proof it. I was wanting to put something like this on top because Ohio can get a lot of snow sometimes. My questions are :
What size PVC ? Do you drill holes for the bolt to go thru or does the bolts hold the PVC once tightened? Would a shorter piece of PVC going underneath in the opposite direction help with snow load ?
Thank you for any info you can give me. It would greatly be appreciated.

I’m new to all of this & don’t have much help available so bear with me if I sound stupid.
I have 10’x10’x6’ kennel & going to put wiring overtop to predator proof it. I was wanting to put something like this on top because Ohio can get a lot of snow sometimes. My questions are :
What size PVC ? Do you drill holes for the bolt to go thru or does the bolts hold the PVC once tightened? Would a shorter piece of PVC going underneath in the opposite direction help with snow load ?
Thank you for any info you can give me. It would greatly be appreciated.
Hi! This thread hasn't been posted on in a while but i'll see if i can help :)
I would guess that that is 1'' pvc, but you will need to get whatever size fits in the connectors you buy. The pvc in oppsoite direction wouldnt do squat IMO, are you looking for a rain cover or a predator proof run? The pvc dosen't appear to be held in by the bolts, just the tension of being bent. Hope this helps, feel free to ask anything else i missed.

Back
Top Bottom