How high to mount watering cups?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by G-Man, Feb 10, 2012.

1. G-Man

G-Man Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 6 of the watering cups featured in the video that I plan on installing inside the coop and out in the run.
    My question is how high from the ground should I install the pipe? I’ve read it should be parallel to their backs.
    Problem is I don’t have my chickens yet. I have standard sized Marans and Wyandottes chickens on order, how tall are their backs to the ground?
    Thank you

2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    It depends how are you mounting them and at what age they will start using them? If it is not permanent, you can mount low and move up as they grow.

3. G-Man

G-Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, I actually bought them from beaktime.com.. very fast service, thank you.

My plan is to mount them permanently to 1/2" pvc pipe that's attached to the inside wall of the hen house and out in the run. Very similar to the video above. If I need to adjust for height, I could set concrete pavers, or bricks so the younger chickens can reach, until they are fully grown.

Thanks for your response.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Pavers or bricks would work. A stack could be lowered a layer at a time as they grow. Just watch that they know to go up for the water. Oh and that the floor can support the weight.

Just looked at the pictures of your hen house; I guess you wouldn't have a weight issue.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by