How high to put hardware cloth on run

Asthetically speaking I'd do the wire inside the lattice but I say that because if you're not covering the top it's not predator proof no matter how high you go with the wire, inside or outside.

While it doesn't make a difference for the lightweight climbers, it does make a difference for the larger predators -- especially dogs, who will break the wire off it's supports by throwing their body weight at it.

Not sure where you heard weasels don't climb well. They climb as well as a squirrel.
I can't find what I read that said 4-feet, however:

Farmanimalreport says 6-feet:
"Weasels can climb hardware cloth, but this isn’t their most common way into a chicken coop or other area. If they are in the mood for climbing and it is available to them, they will do so! But if not? They’ll find another workaround – usually right through one of your openings.
Weasels can climb up to six feet high, but they usually prefer going under or through an opening rather than climbing. This is good news for chicken coop owners, as weasels are not able to get into the coop easily if there is a fence around it. However, make sure all openings are closed off tight – if there is an opening at the bottom of your fence, even if it’s small enough that a weasel can’t fit through it, they will find one big enough to squeeze through."

I can't find what I read that said 4-feet, however:

Farmanimalreport says 6-feet:
"Weasels can climb hardware cloth, but this isn’t their most common way into a chicken coop or other area. If they are in the mood for climbing and it is available to them, they will do so! But if not? They’ll find another workaround – usually right through one of your openings.
Weasels can climb up to six feet high, but they usually prefer going under or through an opening rather than climbing. This is good news for chicken coop owners, as weasels are not able to get into the coop easily if there is a fence around it. However, make sure all openings are closed off tight – if there is an opening at the bottom of your fence, even if it’s small enough that a weasel can’t fit through it, they will find one big enough to squeeze through."
You should do a little more research on them. They are fantastic climbers, and I've seen them chase red squirrels 40' up trees.

I have hardware cloth up the bottom couple of feet, attached to the outside of the run (fence is chain link) and aproned out a couple feet as well. This is strictly to prevent raccoon reach through. I have heavy duty netting for hawks over the top. My set up is meant to deter predators but definitely not predator or pest proof.

We do have bears. If the bears in your area are problematic, nothing short of electric will stop them. My dogs treed a juvenile bear about 30' from the chicken run, but it was just following salmon upstream and not causing any other issues.

Welcome to BYC. Are you in the hot part of VA or the cooler mountains?

If you put your general location into your profile it will be easy to reference so that people can give better-targeted advice.

The wire always goes on the outside of the posts so that when a larger predator pushes against it the post resists the pressure instead of the staples, etc. :)

If bears are in your predator lineup as anything other than a theoretical possibility, only strong electric will keep them out (though they are often more likely to go for the feed than the birds).
Thank you! I’ll update my profile, but I’m in the mountains. North west corner near WV, so we get the summer heat and the cold spells in winter.

The bears haven’t been around as much as before. Realistically, I can’t do much about bears other than shut everyone into a solid coop at night and hope for the best. Not going to worry about it unless it’s a problem.

Back
Top Bottom