1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how high will chickens roost

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blueseal, Jan 24, 2009.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have anew barn almost built. its ten feet from the floor to the ceiling how high should i put the roosts . imight put aloft in down the road .

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    depending on your chicken breed you can put the roosts like 24" or allow your chickens roost in trees. For example, jersey giant roosts should not be over 24" do to there weight.

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

They'll fly up VERY high if they can. As high as they can flap their way up!! Not all breeds can manage it, but if you have one good flier in the bunch, it'll get to the rafters, just to prove how good it is!!! and the others will be MAD and try to get there too!!!

It depends on what sorts of birds you have, but at least a little higher than your nest boxes, they'll all want to be on the topmost roosts. I think sort of shoulder height for you, or near that for easy access for you and so if you build a loft area, you have room in the future.

Does that make sense? I hope so, I'm kinda tired, shouldn't be posting I think.

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I have some that roost in the rafters of an 8 foot ceiling, the bigger breeds wont fly up that high, they roost where they are spose to, on the roosts that are 2,3, and 4 feet off the ground.

5. I have a large barn for the chickies. I have a few wire mesh stalls that the ones that can not roost high are put in. Other roost on top of the rails of the stalls. Other roost in the rafters of the barn. They ALL seem to have a place picked out for themselves.

[​IMG]

6. ncCHICKS

ncCHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    My chickens have "steps" one roost is about one foot high, the next is 30 inches high, then there is 48 inches and one the is eye level

7. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    There were some bantams that were wild here and they slept up in the tall pines. They used the limbs as stairs to fly higher. Eventually something got them in spite of them being so high. All except 2 roos. The trees are very tall. jean

8. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    On average, standard chickens 4' to 6' high. Bantams will roost 4' to 16'. I have three d'Anver hens who fly 10' up to the top loft of the barn.

9. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Theyll roost as high as they can. Ive got some OEG standards, and they will roost in the rafters one of our barns, and its probaly 20 to 25 feet high.

10. michiganlarry

michiganlarry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    I only put the roost a couple inches higher than the nest boxes in the coop I am building. Think I need to move them higher? Boxes are about 20 inches off floor and perch is about 24".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by