How high will they fly?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GrizFan, May 7, 2011.

1. GrizFan

GrizFan New Egg

May 4, 2011
    Howdy...

The babies are still in the brooder, but moving to the chicken tractor relatively soon. The plan is to let them range about the yard during the day, then back in the tractor in the evening and coop at night, with the "stay in the tractor" option for those long summer days hiking. The back yard is fenced, chain link, about 3" high. Two sides have very thick, high hedges (over 6' high). How high can the ladies fly? Do I need to put something on the 3' fence to make it higher?

We have: 2 RIR, 2 Barred Rock, one Golden Sexlink.

Thanks

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have had them fly out of 6 feet chainlink with only a short bucket to help them.

3. Doc Henry

Doc Henry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgetown Tx
    They can probably fly over as pullets but most likely won't as adults, i have some chickens that can fly pretty well. I don't think that is a problem with the breeds you listed.

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Juveniles can easily fly over a 6 foot fence till they put some weight on. Even the adults can make it over when stressed or really wanting the greener grass on the other side. Some people like to clip the feathers on one wing to reduce the "flight height", but that is only a temporary solution. And even if the fence is above 6 feet, they can and will use stepping opportunities to get higher. I've seen my adult chickens work their way 30 feet up to the top of my Mulberry trees a branch at a time, then fly/glide over my 6 1/2 foot fence to the greener pastures. (see my BYC page for pics)

5. littlethorn

littlethorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Northern California
    ^Yes, like everyone else has said.

Beware, they can fly higher than you think they can. The breeds you listed are a bit larger and might not be as bad but we have had our banties fly up into treetops to try and roost and such. Even our cochin has used branches as steps to try and get to something she wants so even the fact that your chicken may look like a beachball does not necessarily give you an indication of its escape ability.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by