How hit is how hit, age old question

Ksammy

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2020
So I've already raised chickens and ducks last year minor 8 months old just the once though. I've got to two day old silkies supposed to be 95° in the aquarium for one week, ok got that, but should the entire aquarium be that hot. It is cooler slightly so they can move around to that area but the ceramic food dish was hot to touch. These guys are freaking tiny now they're passed out I don't know if it's bedtime they should stay asleep or if they're too hot yikes help this is the hardest part of raising chicks.

What is your heat source, a heat lamp? And a glass aquarium is the brooder? Glass holds in heat, so if you're using a heat lamp, I'd consider swapping for a heat plate or heat pad (or conversely ditch the aquarium and find a less heat retentive option like a cardboard box). Chicks need both warm and cool areas and overheating is far more fatal than getting a little chilly. You can judge by their behavior if they're too hot, as they'll try to get away from the heat lamp and may pant or hold out their wings.

What is your heat source, a heat lamp? And a glass aquarium is the brooder? Glass holds in heat, so if you're using a heat lamp, I'd consider swapping for a heat plate or heat pad (or conversely ditch the aquarium and find a less heat retentive option like a cardboard box). Chicks need both warm and cool areas and overheating is far more fatal than getting a little chilly. You can judge by their behavior if they're too hot, as they'll try to get away from the heat lamp and may pant or hold out their wings.
Thank you ! Much a appreciated 🙂

Back
Top Bottom