Field trips to the great outdoors

literaljones

Chirping
Apr 13, 2023
I had planned to start taking the babies outside on short field trips next weekend, but the highs are in the 60's and they will only be 3 weeks old at that point. It won't be in the mid 70's until the second week of May, when they're 4 - 4.5 weeks old. Is that too cold for them? I'm also worried about them not getting sunlight and vitamin D. I've been giving them dandelions, chickweed, and clover, along with a dish of free feed chick grit since they hit the 1 week mark. Will they get enough vitamin D from that? One of my babies seems like she might be depressed. She (I'm assuming here because we bought black sexlinks but this baby has an awful lot of yellow coloring) used to be the most active and inquisitive but now she spends most of her time under the brooding plate, and isn't overly excited about fresh greens anymore. Should I take her out and put her near a window? Black sexlinks are really skittish so I've been trying not to freak them out too much. I was going to sit with them with treats this next week so they could get used to me picking them up. How on earth do you move 12 skittish chicks temporarily outside without scaring them too much? 🤦‍♀️

A worried mother hen

Hi there. This is actually great weather for them to go outside. Just keep an eye on them to ensure they don’t get too hot or cold. Exposing them early to the germs in your yard is good for their immune systems and they’ll enjoy it a lot. They may appear a little frightened at first, but curiosity will get the best of them.

When chicks are raised by a broody she puts them on her schedule no matter the time of year; they stand under her to get warm between lessons on how to forage and about their environment.

Hi there. This is actually great weather for them to go outside. Just keep an eye on them to ensure they don’t get too hot or cold. Exposing them early to the germs in your yard is good for their immune systems and they’ll enjoy it a lot. They may appear a little frightened at first, but curiosity will get the best of them.

When chicks are raised by a broody she puts them on her schedule no matter the time of year; they stand under her to get warm between lessons on how to forage and about their environment.
Thanks so much for your response. This was helpful. :)

Take those three week olds out now in 60 degree weather. Observe them so you know when to take them back in. You may be surprised at how long it takes for them to be ready to go back in. Just keep them out of a cold wind.

At 70 degrees a 4 week old does not need any heat.

Back
Top Bottom