How hot is tooo hot?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Fast Chick, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Fast Chick

Fast Chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    Here in the Pacific NW we don't get the melting heat, but right now we're heading twoard our second day over 100 and they say it'll be that hot tomorrow too. [​IMG][​IMG]

My girls have shade and I wanter down their run at night so there's some cooling from the evaporation. The ducks have a freshly filled kiddy pool and there's several fresh 5 g waters everyone can access.

Last night I quartered a green cabbage and soaked it on water all night so it was very cool and water filled this morning when I gave it to the girls. Yesterday they had watermelon.

Is there anything else I should be doing for them?

2. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Sounds to me like you are doing everything right. As long as they are panting constantly and they have shade and water I bet they will be fine.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They should be fine. If you can get your hands on some poultry electrolytes to add to their water, that would help them cope too.

4. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    You can put some water in two litre pop bottles and freeze them--them place them around the run.

5. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    keep up what you are doing a good idea about the water jugs i use them for my peachicks

6. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I like to freeze fruit and mellons for mine when it is hot. They are a ball to watch plaing with the pieces trying to break some off.

7. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a small mister in their run...seems to help a bit.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I think you did everything you could. [​IMG] I used the frozen 2 liter bottle trick too and they love laying next to them in the hot run. I also see mine getting dew off the bottles as they melt.

9. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Yeah-it has been sooooo hot! I think one thing about our heat is that is happens quickly and is a big temp change. We are supposed t be down to the high 60s by Wednesday, but 100 degrees today. Here is what I do when it's really hot: block ice in big water tub, fan pointed to blow over the ice and into the coop, sprinkle the roof and surrounding areas as often as you can, and a roll down shade on the front of house. During this snap, I also let my girls out because their hen house has no natural shade and it gets hot i there despite all that I do. They were able to find their own shade that way, and got some of my nice ripe veggies and fruits from the garden as well [​IMG]

10. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    you can also fill butter containers with water freeze them and drop them into 5 gallon buckets in the run . 2 gallon containers if your chickens are smaller .

I have 2 buckets filled with water and drop the frozen butter containers inside . Mine all drink from this and love it .

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by