How hot is tooo hot?

Fastchick, where in the NW are you? I am in The Dalles.

smile.png

chickabee19

(Please keep in mind, this is my first batch of baby chickens, so do take that into consideration when reading my thoughts on the topic. Also, looking forward to everyone else's posts on this subject. Thanks!)

Awesome ideas. My girls and I and my human family live where it is regularly in the high 90's (in fact, we haven't had a day under 95 in months) and often goes into the tripple digits for days at a time. Any more ideas that you have to beat the heat would be most welcomed!

Here in SW WA..too hot !!! When it is hot like the past couple of days, I hose down the chicken yard often. I give them chilled fruit cocktail as a treat. I also use a water bottle on mist setting and spray them down often..the ones that will hold still that is. I also keep a battery operated fan going in the coop.

Last edited:
It's been crazy hot here too. In Texas... we expect it to get over 100 but not over 101-102. About a week ago it was 107!
Anyhow I put their coop and run under the tree to keep it shaded, used frozen bottles of water, filled their waters every few hours with fresh water. I didn't give them extra food treats during that time so they could just sit in one place and relax instead of running around expending energy picking at the treats.
Electrolytes in their water is a great idea.

I'm in Scappoose just North of Portland.

Cooler today, but darned muggy. Two eggs from the chickens, 3 from the ducks, 4 from my neighbors hens I'm watch while their out of town.

One of my orps throws all the straw out of the nest box before she'll lay. My nest boxes are plastic dishwashing tubs for easy clean up.

Last night we got to 108 degrees in The Dalles. It was 104 on my covered deck where all my tropical houseplants live!
sickbyc.gif

This is the first year since 1998 that we've had a heat pump that works for air-conditioning in the summer.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom