How I built a log nest box... PIC HEAVY!!

Riffecreek

Chukar Junky
9 Years
May 29, 2010
Dunnville, Ky.
A few people has ask how I made the log nest box for my black bellies so I thought I post it in another thread because of all the pics..

This is a pic of a somewhat finished nest.. still need to round the hole..

IMG_0228.jpg

First thing I done was stand the log up.. and bore into the log at the top of where the nest would be. and make the cut straight down the log to where the bottom would be.. do this to both sides of the log trying to keep the parallel to each other...

IMG_0243.jpg

Then I lay the log down and make the cuts to remove what will become the front and back...
IMG_0251.jpg

stand it back up and it should look like this
IMG_0259.jpg

Now I bore cut the other way on each side
IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

Now do the top and bottom..

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

kick out the center piece and it should look like this
wink.png

IMG_0276.jpg

Take the two pieces cut off the side in the first two steps and cut a hole in one for the front.. Hinge the back one on for clean out and ur done!!

I know my cuts aren't straight
roll.png
but I made this one in about 10 minutes with my wife taking pics for me.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for posting pics! I'm on the hunt now for a tree log so we can do this on Saturday! I want to make 2 of them and my hubby can do the chain saw easily! I'll be the direction reader and hinge application person. Thanks again! I'm thinking I need one 12" in diameter at least for Mandarin nests? Does that sound ok? How big across is the one in the pics?
Lisa

That log is 18+= inches at the top.. so it's close to 20 inches where the nest is. and the nest is 14 inch square in the inside after the front and back goes back on..

wowza! ok- I'll look for a Bigggggger log! Hope someone's cutting a tree down close by! WE've got 100 yr old Sycamores that are 4' in diameter, but we're not planning on cutting them down anytime soon!
wink.png

Fantastic Eric. i wonder if I can talk hubbie into making me a couple. He needs to cut a few big oaks that are to close to the house for fire wood for next year

Thanks everyone for the kind words.. I always believe in trying to keep everything as natural as possible when it comes to wildlife in captivity.. I think these nests look real cool in the pen and the ducks seem to love it!! They perch on top some, and one of them has already been inside..

I would also love to see some of the nests others make using the logs!!

Back
Top Bottom