How I fell for a chicken

JohnCT

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 15, 2011
NW CT
When I decided to raise chickens, I was set that there would be no naming the livestock.... well this is Mush, she is about 9 weeks old and is part of my first attempt to raise chickens.
100050_img_2365.jpg

She was a little trouble maker early on, and figured out a way out of the temporary run, her loud cries and the hawks over my head alerted me, and I chased her down, and got her back in the run.

Mush was 1 of 4 birds I started with, but due to my own lack of education, 3 were lost to a 'coon several nights later.

The night of the attack, I caught the critter in the act and was able to get it out of the coop, as soon as I got to her, she literally jumped into my hands and spent the next couple of hours in my lap.

I was lucky to be able to get a couple of her sisters from the same breeder the next day to keep her company.

Now she runs right too me as soon as I open the coop in the morning and when ever I come close to run, eats out of my hand all the time, and she is even starting to come when I call her. I look foward to getting out in the morning to see her come running. Who would have thought you could fall for a chicken?

Growing up I never really understand how my aunt and grandmother were ever so wild about chickens, and I didn't like to name them either, but it was a rooster actually that got my attention. Poor thing got blinded in an argument with another roo [we seperated them afterwards, usually never had a problem from them together over the years considering they were brothers]. I babied Carl and he got so dependant on your voice that he'd take the time and listen to you calling his name, tilting his head, then slowly trot in your direction. Sweetest one I ever had. Then came little man Pickles, whom I was introduced to at the shelter as a baby and I had to take him home.
Come's when you call "Here chick, chicky" and pat the ground. Well-mannered and good with kids. He's got spunk though, and anything that flies gives him a scare [including bumblebees
smile.png
]

SOOOO I know your feeling. They steal your heart <3
love.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Only about a zillion BYC members with really affectionate chickens....
love.gif

and those members whose chickens are not as affectionate as you would like, but darn it if you are going to stop loving them just cause they try to rip your eye out (almost true story), or gash your hand in to hamburger (only a slight exaggeration) or run screaming from you if you try to pet them (yeah, kinda true)...

well OOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKK....a very large exaggeration, but mine are not all that nicey-nice

but I love them!!
woot.gif
and I know deep down in that ol' dinosaur brain of theirs, they love me too!
woot.gif

I have kevin who greets me she reminds me of the bird in up lol. Shes my baby and oddly i love our rooster alex named after my couisns 3 year old the terror not that alex is a terror hes a good boy

I always wonder what percentage of people that just smack themselves in the head about us cooing and crying over these fowls. We make impressive cottage coops, feed special treats, baby them, tame them, watch them......lol. We're chicken smitten and I'm proud dammit! They're my cheap therapy.

Quote:
Agreed. They give me such joy and it has helped me overcome ALOT of bad. Rescuing chickens saved my life.

My husband fell for one chick (me) who had a pet chicken! I fell for chickens when I was six years old. My father purchased 50 chicks which turned out to be 49 roosters. They all had names and I always had one in my arms. Then one day I came home from school and they were gone. I was so upset dad purchased more chickens-pullets this time, and one of my chores was to collect the eggs.

thats why this forum is so popular - cause people UNDERSTAND us here

i have 22 chicks now but there are still my two first girls - elmo and zoe who i love like crazy - and when i am out working - ilove how they chat with me - even wheni DONT have food

Back
Top Bottom