How I started out to buy cat litter and came home with a new rifle.

woodmort

RIP 1938-2020
Jul 6, 2010
Ever have one of those days? I headed out to buy cat litter but decided it was too far to go today--it is a farm store about 12 miles away and didn't need anything else there so, after about 6 miles, I decided to wait. I turned around and went into the supermarket to pick up some fresh herbs that DH wanted me to get for her turkey soup. That put me on the same side of the road as the local outdoor store so I figured I'd stop in and get my new fishing license. While there I was talking to the kid behind the counter about the coyotes I'd seen lately and he suggested, strongly, that if I was going to take them out I might as well get a fishing/hunting combo license(only an extra $5) just to be on the safe side. (I haven't had a hunting license in about 15/16 years because I just don't have time for it but NYS fish and game law require a hunting license to take coyotes during the season from Oct 1 to Mar 27.) Then he wanted to know what I was going to use--I have a .20 side by side, .16 pump with #4's and slugs for both plus my trusty Mossburg 142A, .22 that my dad gave me when I turned 12 (70 years ago). Kid didn't think the .22 would do the job and the shotguns had the range so suggested I might want to move up to at least a .22 mag. By the time I was finished I had a Stevens 300 with a scope and couple of boxes of shells to sight it in. I got home and told my DW that I didn't get the cat litter.

Last edited:
Sounds like the time my husband went to the Honda dealership to get a battery for an old bike....instead he came home with a new Goldwing....
gig.gif

I don't think I have ever done anything that spontaneous... but if there are coyotes you obviously needed it more than cat litter
lol.png

Wow, that is a short coyote season! Here badger, fox, and coyote are open year-round (officially April 1 - Mar 31). If they are on our property we don't need a license:

Hunters and trappers are required to purchase licenses, except any resident, or member of his or her family permanently residing with him or her, may hunt small game, trap or use cable devices during the open season without a license upon land owned or leased by him or her, but otherwise is governed by seasons, limits and all other regulations.

It's also open season on bunnies on the property...

My bosses husband once stopped by the RV shop to order a special sized trash can for their smaller RV

And left with a big brand new diesel pusher with extra slides....... talk about an impulse buy!

<<<new diesel pusher with extra slides>>>

For others who also have no clue what the heck this is, I googled it. It's a brand new RV in the $150,000 price range.

I still haven't lived down the time I went out to buy new tires but bought a new car instead.

I remeber one day dh left in my first owned car and came home with a new pick up truck. I missed my car,but put dh to work hauling stuff!

I want a gun too. The squirrels around me are traveling in packs and destroying my yard.

Back
Top Bottom