How important is a roost in the coop?

Mine LOVE their roosts both inside the coop and out. They love to relax on the outdoor roosts after an afternoon snack. I can't imagine them not being able to act like birds.

I just finished my coop about 2 weeks ago. Well I kinda did. I got 7 chickens 3 days ago and already replaced the roost I had to started with. I thought I had it figured out and the chicken let me know not so. I made the new one taller, 3 inch roost to replace the 1 1/2 poles, plus three roost poles instead of 2. They must like it, they marched right in tonight and found their spot. O, I also spaced the poles a little further apart.

To me, the roost is important for their peace of mind. Whether it does any good or not, to us, it means something to the chickens and helps keep them happy. And a happy hen will bring rewards for you.
big_smile.png

I have roosts at different heights in the coop. Most of them like to use the high ones though some will always stay low. They have outside roosts as well, branches down from the last storm some stacked like teepees and some naturally as they fell. They really like these late afternoon; the rest of the time they crash out in the shrubbery.

Back
Top Bottom