1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how important is feed type?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by frankenchick, Oct 6, 2008.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    I have 10 w/o chicks that have been eating 16% layer feed for about a week. I got tired of trying to keep everyone out of everyone else’s feed, and I figured they were close enough. They look well, and I figured they were getting enough bugs to make up the difference.

Now, I wonder. I noticed on the bag [DuMor] that 10-18 w/o pullets are “supposed” to take the 15% finisher. My Q is this: Is there anything in the layer feed that the chicks shouldn’t have? Something like calcium or such that their bodies aren’t ready for?

TIA

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Chickens that are not laying should never be fed Layer pellets. I would go to the store right now and get a bag of Purina Start and Grow. The chicks do not need all of the calcium that is in the layer pellets.

3. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Yea. You should put them on the right feed asap.

4. packinaglock

packinaglock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    How about the other way around? A full sized laying hen eating the starter feed for the chicks?

5. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    The start and grow (or grower feed) is not medicated as the actual chick feed is, and is OK for layers. Just make sure there is oyster shell free choice for the layers ot get the extra calcium for shell production.

6. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Uh oh!

I'll get the 15% tomorrow and only use that for the next 8 weeks. I already have oyster shell, so I can do that, too.

Thanks for your info!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Some starter/grower feed is medicated. I feed medicated starter/grower to my chicks and straight layer to my big girls. I don't put them together until they are about ready to lay. I let them range next to each other so they can get used to each other. If I have any starter/grower left, I mix it with the layer and put the girls together as they are big enough to put up with being picked on by the big girls and while they are establishing their pecking order. Be sure to check the label. Most bags that are medicated have a tag on the bag stating that it is medicated. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  8. packinaglock

packinaglock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    It's just tough when they are all in the same coop to keep things seperate.[​IMG]

9. peapickinchicks

peapickinchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, KY
    I use Purina Raising flock feed for my biddies. You can feed it to chickens, turkeys, ducks, and fowls. I start my chicks on medicated feed keep em on that till they're about 4-6 weeks old then I switch to Purina Raising flock, I don't like Dumor brand feed It makes their poo stinkier IMO.

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    My three groups are 29 weeks old, 18 weeks old and 11 weeks old and they have all been getting separate food....chick starter, a finisher and a layer.

Last week I went to an all-in-one ( a finisher) that all three can eat until eveyone is laying then I will switch everyone to layer mash. My layers get oyster shell.

The young ones you have do not need layer at all, it has too much calcium in it for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by