how important is feed type?

frankenchick

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Benton Twp., Michigan
I have 10 w/o chicks that have been eating 16% layer feed for about a week. I got tired of trying to keep everyone out of everyone else’s feed, and I figured they were close enough. They look well, and I figured they were getting enough bugs to make up the difference.

Now, I wonder. I noticed on the bag [DuMor] that 10-18 w/o pullets are “supposed” to take the 15% finisher. My Q is this: Is there anything in the layer feed that the chicks shouldn’t have? Something like calcium or such that their bodies aren’t ready for?

TIA

The start and grow (or grower feed) is not medicated as the actual chick feed is, and is OK for layers. Just make sure there is oyster shell free choice for the layers ot get the extra calcium for shell production.

Some starter/grower feed is medicated. I feed medicated starter/grower to my chicks and straight layer to my big girls. I don't put them together until they are about ready to lay. I let them range next to each other so they can get used to each other. If I have any starter/grower left, I mix it with the layer and put the girls together as they are big enough to put up with being picked on by the big girls and while they are establishing their pecking order. Be sure to check the label. Most bags that are medicated have a tag on the bag stating that it is medicated.
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
I use Purina Raising flock feed for my biddies. You can feed it to chickens, turkeys, ducks, and fowls. I start my chicks on medicated feed keep em on that till they're about 4-6 weeks old then I switch to Purina Raising flock, I don't like Dumor brand feed It makes their poo stinkier IMO.

My three groups are 29 weeks old, 18 weeks old and 11 weeks old and they have all been getting separate food....chick starter, a finisher and a layer.

Last week I went to an all-in-one ( a finisher) that all three can eat until eveyone is laying then I will switch everyone to layer mash. My layers get oyster shell.

The young ones you have do not need layer at all, it has too much calcium in it for sure.

Back
Top Bottom