how is a chickens egg fertilized?

It seems you missed the "Birds part of the talk" Did you get the "Bees" part or did you miss that too?
gig.gif

That's a common question, it's really an amazing process! That's a good article in the earlier link, and here's where your question is answered: Infundibulum (or funnel) – located adjacent to the ovary and with long segments enclosing the ovary, the infundibulum collects the yolk after it’s release from the follicle as a funnel and directs it into the oviduct. This section has very thin walls and is 6-9 centimetres long. Fertilisation of the ovum by the male sperm occurs here.

I tell kids it's like a little candy factory in there, with a long conveyor belt where the egg is begun, then goes along and gets wrapped in various layers, with the shell added on last. Then there's an equally interesting way the egg is finally laid, with the end of the tube turning itself inside out so that it blocks the other tube where the poop connects to the vent.

It's impressive what our humble chickens are doing to produce their eggs, they're making miracles happen almost on a daily basis!

Hey, this is a commonly confused thing. This reminds me of a friend I had years ago, before I ever got any chickens. I don't know how on earth we got talking about the subject of avian sex, but it turned out he'd read somewhere that male birds don't have penises. And he'd made the assumption from that that they couldn't mate, and was convinced that the female laid her egg and then the male did some kind of fertility dance over the egg after it was laid, and fertilised it that way. He was convinced that bird semen would enter the egg through the shell and fertilise it that way, and nothing I could say, no google printouts, no photocopies of zoology textbooks, NOTHING would convince him otherwise!

I just couldn't let it go and spent ages trying to persuade him of the truth of the matter, but no matter how I explained it, he spent quite a lot of time sniggering at me for being so 'naive' to think that birds mated in the normal fashion. He would kind of shake his head patronisingly and say things like 'How can you be so silly?' and 'Let me know when you've figured out I'm right.' We ended up having to just agree to disagree on the subject and I never mentioned it to him again. He probably still thinks he was right...

So anyway, don't be too quick to laugh at people asking this question. My friend was a very intelligent university graduate with a well above average IQ who ran his own successful import/export business and designed all sorts of electronic gadgets that were made to order for him at several large factories in China and Taiwan. He was nobody's fool. But he still couldn't get his head round how birds copulated...

There are many fish who fertilize eggs after they have been laid, I think that's where some folks get confused about chicken & other bird eggs, thinking they are fertilized in that same way. When you think about it, it's really an amazing procedure, a miracle that any baby birds are made at all!

I think maybe they meant how does the sperm actually get into the egg since there's a shell, which is a good question if you don't know the process...I might be wrong but they probably know the whole where babies come from spill lol

Back
Top Bottom