How is this possible?? BR x RIR = yellow chicks??

It's not really possible.
Sometimes stuff like this happens when recessive pop up from both sides like recessive white. That would not be the case here.
It's more complexes because you used two different breeds. Well established breeds.
Also more interesting because the BRa are the hens.
What ever caused it has to be a gene on their side that's hidden
They're not extended black/ extended black as they should be.
How many hatched yellow out of how many?
How many BR hens are involved?
Are they by chance TSC/ Hoover's BRs?
So far 3/6 are yellow. The other 3 havent hatched yet.

6 BR hens

They are TSC BRs. 😔

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 20210302_122110.jpg
    20210302_122110.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 20210302_121801_HDR.jpg
    20210302_121801_HDR.jpg
    793.7 KB · Views: 27
Looking at them as they dry, 2 are yellow and 1 has a black stripe and is a little redder.

Do you think the males might develop the barring as they age? And the females stay solid

Attachments

• 16203097456272726947806703840152.jpg
    16203097456272726947806703840152.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 16203097815712288701848077914431.jpg
    16203097815712288701848077914431.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 24
This was my suspicion from the start.
Your BRs are not pure BRs.
They're some type of BR mix that Hoover's have been selling as pure through TSC this last year.
No one knows what the other half of the mix is and Hoover's still claim they're pure when it's obvious they aren't.
You're getting the yellow chicks because of the genes the other half of the mix is providing.
You should still have a 50% chance of producing BSL. Black or black with head spots. Also yes all male chicks will still carry barring. It's just gonna be a matter of time as to when it shows and how well it shows on those odd chicks.

They're some type of BR mix that Hoover's have been selling as pure through TSC this last year.
No one knows what the other half of the mix is and Hoover's still claim they're pure when it's obvious they aren't.
You're getting the yellow chicks because of the genes the other half of the mix is providing.
You should still have a 50% chance of producing BSL. Black or black with head spots. Also yes all male chicks will still carry barring. It's just gonna be a matter of time as to when it shows and how well it shows on those odd chicks.
@EmmaRainboe check this out!

Amazing explanation! I knew the hens colors were off since they were younger, but figured poor breeding, not an actual mutt. Makes sense. Luckily i didnt get these with the intention to sell any babies as true BSL, i was hoping to identify them for eatting lol.

So far, i have 3 yellows hatch, 1 yellow/redish with thw black stripe. 1 is unzipping and looks reddish/yellow also, amd i think the last one has passed on since its day 22 and no pips or movement.

Once everyone is hatched and dried, i'll snap some pics. It would be great if their color still indicated their sex, even tho they arent black lol

As @The Moonshiner said, those are BR mixes. They have the silver gene and it looks like they’ve created some silver columbian chicks.

Wait, silver hen x red rooster- you’ve still got sex links. The silver (white) chicks are male and the red chicks are female.
I hope you are right!! I am gonna document them so i can keep track of whose who and see if their coloring actually pans out as sex linked.

Just to check the obvious:
--Are you positive the eggs came from those specific hens?
--Are you positive that rooster is the father?

I've seen some stories with oddly colored chicks where the father was a young cockerel or a bantam rooster, and the person had not realized that bird was mating with those hens.

Back
Top Bottom