How is your flock today?

Pics
That would be super Thank you. :) I posted on the Forum looking and never received a reply back figuring no one has done it? :confused: 4 sex linked Isa Brown hens and one cockerel Brahma mix with RR Roo I am guessing? I can post pics if that helps? LOL:D

Since both of the parent's are mixed breed, none of the chick's would be a definate. They could end up about any color, I would think, even with your sexlinked hen's, it would depend on what breed's were used as thier parent's. All I can say is, if you decide to hatch from your's, look at it as being a box of chocolate. You'll never know what you'll get.

Since both of the parent's are mixed breed, none of the chick's would be a definate. They could end up about any color, I would think, even with your sexlinked hen's, it would depend on what breed's were used as thier parent's. All I can say is, if you decide to hatch from your's, look at it as being a box of chocolate. You'll never know what you'll get.
Backyard barnyard mix. Some are very pretty! That is what I am in for with the ducks I hatched. Now, I have jailed the Rouens together, and I am letting her keep her eggs, to see if she will brood them for me. I have eggs coming out my ears, might as well see if she will make me some ducklings! They could well still be mixed, but for sure I will know who the mom is! And a choice of only 2 dads, this go 'round. ;) The other 2 dadz were nice duck dinners.

I agree, but after all the hard work and money spent, I would feel a little better putting them in our freezer first! :D
Freezer is a great thing -- You don't have to feed them, they are all young and tender, harvested at the optimal time, & you do not have to build a "rooster coop" to keep them from tearing up your girls. I like my rooster. He is beautiful, and he is nice because all his competition went away before he was 14 weeks old. They fight to compete for the hens, no competition, nice bird no fighting was learned. That is my theory of rooster management, anyway! Less males = less management. ;)

Freezer is a great thing -- You don't have to feed them, they are all young and tender, harvested at the optimal time, & you do not have to build a "rooster coop" to keep them from tearing up your girls. I like my rooster. He is beautiful, and he is nice because all his competition went away before he was 14 weeks old. They fight to compete for the hens, no competition, nice bird no fighting was learned. That is my theory of rooster management, anyway! Less males = less management. ;)
I agree with you 100%, I am just hopeful our Chewy figures things out before it is to late. He is only 7 months old now and I will wait a year hoping his hormones' calm down before sending him to freezer camp.

Yes your own home grown meat is priceless because of what a person invested into them while they are young and growing. I like BBQ chicken way too much, just to give away a perfect bird for someone else to just go ahead and do the same thing, over keeping it as a pet. :barnie

I agree with you 100%, I am just hopeful our Chewy figures things out before it is to late. He is only 7 months old now and I will wait a year hoping his hormones' calm down before sending him to freezer camp.

Yes your own home grown meat is priceless because of what a person invested into them while they are young and growing. I like BBQ chicken way too much, just to give away a perfect bird for someone else to just go ahead and do the same thing, over keeping it as a pet. :barnie
7 months is old enough to fertilize a crop of meat birds. I agree with lots of folks on here, for layers, I want a nice rooster as the dad. Just barely crowing is as old as a BBQ bound bird needs to get! They do not get any nicer when you have a large lot of them. I had 13 boys out of 21 shipped chicks, all 13 went to the pot, freezer, & BBQ. Gave some to my neighbors, too. They put up with some crowing. ;) They liked the crock pot chicken! Home grown has more taste, and less fat, however you use them.

Here is an interesting link that helps explain more about the Isa Brown History. I agree it would be interesting , this is why I would like to try an incubate a few of their fertilized eggs to see what type of chicks come from them? :confused: Maybe I need a pure RR red and or whit rooster first, instead of old Barn Yard Chewy! LOL:gig

https://www.chickensandmore.com/isa-brown/

7 months is old enough to fertilize a crop of meat birds. I agree with lots of folks on here, for layers, I want a nice rooster as the dad. Just barely crowing is as old as a BBQ bound bird needs to get! They do not get any nicer when you have a large lot of them. I had 13 boys out of 21 shipped chicks, all 13 went to the pot, freezer, & BBQ. Gave some to my neighbors, too. They put up with some crowing. ;) They liked the crock pot chicken! Home grown has more taste, and less fat, however you use them.
I so agree with you. If chewy don't work out........ He sure will be very tasty in the end. LOL I just though because he was a Brahma mix and Brahma Roosters are to be more docile, maybe there was a chance of him being an awesome mellow young Rooster one day? :confused: I still have my figures crossed! :)

Here is an interesting link that helps explain more about the Isa Brown History. I agree it would be interesting , this is why I would like to try an incubate a few of their fertilized eggs to see what type of chicks come from them? :confused: Maybe I need a pure RR red and or whit rooster first, instead of old Barn Yard Chewy! LOL:gig

https://www.chickensandmore.com/isa-brown/
Breeding back to a red bird would probably get you mostly Red chicks. White, could be a lot of mixes of white & red. They would all be pretty good layers, I would think. The eggs will not tell if you got them from a pure-bred bird! The nice thing about the ISA Browns, is that they are sex-linked, so you are for sure getting a hen when you buy one. You will not get that advantage in the next generation. But, boys BBQ just fine. You can not tell if it was a pure-bred bird in this photo:
BTW, pure bred Barred Holland cockerel, a very rare breed. Tastes like chicken! :drool

Attachments

• IMG_5185.JPG
    IMG_5185.JPG
    392.5 KB · Views: 2
I so agree with you. If chewy don't work out........ He sure will be very tasty in the end. LOL I just though because he was a Brahma mix and Brahma Roosters are to be more docile, maybe there was a chance of him being an awesome mellow young Rooster one day? :confused: I still have my figures crossed! :)
Could happen.:fl:idunno There are a lot of good roosters looking for homes every fall.

Back
Top Bottom