How is your flock today?

Pics
What did alohchickens have to say about the yellow earlobes? I am guessing your three new chickens come from her originally then?

The people that I bought the NN Aloha's from wasn't from her. The people that I bought them from got their originals from her though, and then worked on the NN aspect of them to help develop the Naked Neck version of the Aloha's. The Aloha chick's that I got back in November were from the original breeder, and have the fully feathered neck's. So, now I have both types.

The people that I bought the NN Aloha's from wasn't from her. The people that I bought them from got their originals from her though, and then worked on the NN aspect of them to help develop the Naked Neck version of the Aloha's. The Aloha chick's that I got back in November were from the original breeder, and have the fully feathered neck's. So, now I have both types.
Ok I understand better now, TY. :) Does the original breeder have chickens with yellow earlobes then?

ok , I was just curious if that was a must have marking on that specific breed or not for them to be from the same breeders original line. :confused:

Well, once you take them from the original and work with them, you can create your own line of them. With the NN Aloha's, I will be breeding the buff NN pullet that I have that has the black in the tail and yellow leg's. The first generation out of that won't look molted like the NN Aloha's but could carry the molting gene. The molting could show up in the second generation, when they are bred back to the NN Aloha's.

Last edited:
Hello, How is everyone and their flock doing this fine day?

Everything and one is doing fine around our place in between rain showers still. LOL At least now the weather is getting warmer and things are starting to turn green, even the bare ground that the ducks and chickens turned into a muddy mess last fall. :barnie

All The girls are doing wonderful in the egg laying department, haven't had anymore hiccups in awhile, so that is a good thing knock on wood! LOL

Little Scoot Scoot is five weeks old and he really loves to get out and run around the yard. Too funny to watch the way he bounces around like he has little springs on the bottom of his hoofs.

Chewy our young Cockerel is starting to be more active with his four girls so I will start checking to see if any of the eggs are fertile or not? I am curious to hatch a few of the Isa Brown eggs to see what the chicks would turn out like. I am still unable to find that answer here on BYC, unless I am not looking in the right place? :confused:

I did find two dozen barn yard mixed eggs for my older gentleman friend so he can put them in his older model incubator to show his grandchildren how that whole fun process works. :)

I think I have made my decision on the incubator that I will buy after many hours of looking at so many of them and reading reviews. I am going to purchase the Nurture Right 360, a little bigger then I wanted but I guess that wont be a deal breaker because of all the great reviews that machine has received.

I am sure it will be a little while yet before I have the extra time to start hatching any eggs for myself. Spring is here and I am up to my eyeballs in outdoor projects that have been put on hold because of all the extra rain these past few months. :th

Well, I thought I was making progress with my rooster. I take in the treats, he pecks my feet. The last two days, he hasn't.

Until yesterday. The treat was a heel of bread, which they get about once every two weeks. It's the only treat some of them will get on my lap for. When I sit in the coop doorway, one of the girls will get beside me and let me pet her.

Yesterday, the rooster wasn't having any of that. He was on the ramp to the pop door (I often give him the treats so that he can pass it on to one of the ladies), and he came in and pecked me hard on the arm.

It didn't hurt, as I had on a coat, but I dropped the rest of the heel and lost my persuasive treat.

I guess he saw my stroking his main girl as mating (?) and wasn't having any of that. :rolleyes:

If I get a oops cockerel in with pullet chicks I'm getting in June, roo-roo may have to go away. I'll keep working with him...

Back
Top Bottom