How is your flock today?

The shorter daylight hours don't help either, it's dark now by 5:30 pm here and my day is still far from over!
Fantastic to stay busy with life instead of infront of phone or computer. You are not only forgiven, but envied ♡♡♡
I would like to go one day and view the Pearl Harbor Memorial and pay my respects. :) I also think the smaller islands would be more fun to visit over the tourist packed mainland.

I would have never guessed something like this would be possible to view, leave it up to the Japanese to figure it out! LOL
Ok. That is just too funny... just the order or what ever lol. Yeah, the Arizona is hollowed ground and the outer isles are more Hawaiian like. And the Japanese people and culture is beautiful and incredible and very clever. I'm glad we are now allies ♡♡♡

What do you feed them and do you temper their feed?
I feed them bran flake from the feed store, microwave for 2-4 minutes depending on the size of bowl I use. I only add carrots and cardboard.
I was a little hyper vigilant on my worms. I love playing with them. I think the mites came in with the chicken feed and now it is just gunna be hard with our humidity to get rid of them.

Thank you. :) The bachelor coop is nothing special trust me. If I were to take pictures right now of our little operation I would be absolutely embarrassed because of how everything is in disarray. I have been busy with re-orchestrating all our coops because of limited room to help make things a little more user friendly for everyone.

My main plane is to put the cockerel and Rooster pad out in the trees with our Billy Goats in their own much larger free range area. That way they will be away from any hens and will be able to come behind the goats and clean up their feed mess they like to make.

Then of course cull them when it's time for freezer camp. I can understand how culling animals (pets) from a persons flock and herd is not easy for some, but I look at it this way. I grew up eating some of the best home raised meat over anything a person could find in a store. So I would rather put them in our freezer over given them away for free for someone else to do the same.

I promise to post pictures when I have things more organized. LOL :)
How about I take photos of my set up and you guys suggest away. Part of the problem is my big breed boys ♡♡♡ forsure but just thinking I can do some tweeking to make it work better.

I got tired of hatching chick's out and then having to grow them out a bit to be able to tell what sex they were. So I will only be hatching the egg's of breed's that can be sexed at hatch.
And that makes you 1,000 x's smarter than me. I'm just a glutton for punishment (or an idiot)

Right now I have 4 Buff Brahma's that I am going back and fourth on. Well, one is obviously a boy but the other three I am going back and fourth on depending on the light or wind direction or pose or behavior. The feathers all say girls so far but I don't believe that for a second.

I know what you mean, and the only thing that I could think of was that the person most likely lived in an HOA and wasn't supposed to have any anyway's. Poor duck's!
Some people... just glad he gave them up instead of thinking he could keep them. I guess the string cutting into the ducks beak escaped his view and brain. 🤬🤬🤬
I think I would try to epoxy. It def will take love, time and ... wait for it.... patience ♡

I could not read that thread about the duck abuse. I knew it would upset me too much.

I will do my best to get caught up with everyone's posts. :) How is everyone and their flocks doing today?
My roo, Darl, is getting more and more aggressive with me. Today I went in for snack time as usual, and he pecked at my feet, and even came at my hand with his feet. This is the first time he's come at me feet first.

I am the only one who goes in there. I am the bringer of food and snack (their food, wetted into a mash -- they love it). WTH is his problem now?

He is over a year and a half old. He went through a "spell" when he was about 9 months old, and I thought he'd chill out by last spring when he was a year or so old. He goes through phases, it seems.

I'm afraid he's gonna have to go to freezer camp soon. Except that DH will NOT eat him. He told me he's happy to eat the unborn children (eggs), but will have not have any part of culling or eating the birds. And, yes, he has had fresh chicken and knows it's better than store bought.

I want a good boy in my flock. Not this butthead.

Sigh.

I feed them bran flake from the feed store, microwave for 2-4 minutes depending on the size of bowl I use. I only add carrots and cardboard.
I was a little hyper vigilant on my worms. I love playing with them. I think the mites came in with the chicken feed and now it is just gunna be hard with our humidity to get rid of them.
I was just curious if you tempered your feed first or not to help with killing the mite eggs. I tried my hand at raising meal worms awhile back and it has been a roller coaster of a learning experience.

I done my homework before I started raising them and at first things were going great until the mites took over. It got so bad I had to move all the containers outside just to get rid of all the mites in the house. I even started having little fruit like type flies flying around from the carrots I used. It was awful so they had to go outside. LOL

I am starting to think a person needs some type of a humidor room or cabinet to raise meal worms in to help control the temp and humidity to help keep the mite eggs from hatching. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom