How is your flock today?

Some think happened to me (kind of). We got an Ayam cemani “pullet”. Now the weird think was that the guy that we bought ”her” from, let us choose which one we wanted. He had a bunch of rooster, and hens, together, so you could CLEARLY a see which was a hen and which a rooster. So obviously, we picked The “hen”. Well, a few weeks passed, and as I was about to go back inside after feeding the chickens, I heard a crow. Now, I’ve never heard this crow, and it sounded really close. I stayed around to see who crowed, and then I figured it out. The ”hen” was somehow a rooster. Still stumped at how that happened
Post pictures.

What model incubator do you have ?
Oh gosh. I have a R Com Pro 20. I ordered right at the beginning of the pandemic- like pre pandemic as I knew we were going to have problems and I wanted to have some stability and also be able to help my community more than just giving a few eggs. (Unworthyness not applying at the time) my first two choices were impossible to get so I coughed out some pretty good money for the R Com. Pretty darn happy with it, beautifully well made, easy clean, good view, auto settings or not, stays consistent. Hoping my grandkids will enjoy after I am dine with it. My DH even touched it when I asked him not to.... (ya know the type) and turned the thing upside down dumping the water out- a BIG no-no!- and it dried and seems fine. I was up Koke'e but I am sure my soul was screaming.
Though, looking at someone's 360 :drool I am a tad envious of how stunning it looks snd how well I know it's gunna work! I think I'd like to get another bater for bigger hatches cuz I like bigger hatches and I am seriously eyeballing that 360. No money left in the tin so I had better get to selling more chicks. Collecting my dams and sires at the moment. Old gals have had it 😕 well about done with laying.

Welcome to our little group. :) That is the unfortunate part about buying unsexed and or incubating your own eggs, about half will be cockerels every time. LOL
The hatching that I did last month, I ended up with 5 pullet's. The only cockerel that hatched was a fail to thrive and passed.

I am certainly no incubating expert and still have more to learn. I was very amazed my first two hatches turned out as well as they did given the older incubator I was using and all the small issues I had resolve along the 21 days.

I have read and see where people are always candling their eggs several times before they hatch. I personally don't see all that extra handling a benefit. I get the whole correct air cell size etc. but once you have your machine dialed in with the correct humidity, everything should take care of itself IMO and no reason to candle until lock down. Lock down until hatch is when you find out if everything was correct or not ?

From what I have read about the 360 and if all the eggs are fertile, a person should almost always have a high hatch rate with very little effort.

Just curious, do you ever have any of your hens go broody and hatch the chicks themselves?
Yes 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ I HAD 4 broodies (at least) part feral. Could not keep them off the nest and the got pretty crazy attacking everyone after.
I agree and am happiest not handling the eggs too much too. More room for error.

Oh gosh. I have a R Com Pro 20. I ordered right at the beginning of the pandemic- like pre pandemic as I knew we were going to have problems and I wanted to have some stability and also be able to help my community more than just giving a few eggs. (Unworthyness not applying at the time) my first two choices were impossible to get so I coughed out some pretty good money for the R Com. Pretty darn happy with it, beautifully well made, easy clean, good view, auto settings or not, stays consistent. Hoping my grandkids will enjoy after I am dine with it. My DH even touched it when I asked him not to.... (ya know the type) and turned the thing upside down dumping the water out- a BIG no-no!- and it dried and seems fine. I was up Koke'e but I am sure my soul was screaming.
Though, looking at someone's 360 :drool I am a tad envious of how stunning it looks snd how well I know it's gunna work! I think I'd like to get another bater for bigger hatches cuz I like bigger hatches and I am seriously eyeballing that 360. No money left in the tin so I had better get to selling more chicks. Collecting my dams and sires at the moment. Old gals have had it 😕 well about done with laying.
I love my Nurture Rite 360!

Back
Top Bottom