How is your flock today?

@416bigbore If you are planning to keep one for breeding purposes, I'd keep the nicest one.
Well I want to start a better pure line of Chocks this next spring the Black Australorps. Since I am going to start with all chicks from a hatchery it will take some time to build that Flock, so I best keep a few of the old Heinz 57 around until the others are all old enough and doing their thing. :) This is why I am thinking of not culling Big Boy until all the others are grown.

Last edited:
I did my usual poop board & brooder clean yester-morn. It dawned on me that my compost tumbler was topped off and it was tme to lock it and let it bake. I have a double tumbler and the other is close to being finished, cooked but not complete gold yet. So I gave that one a few turns to bring out what was left of the bugs and mostly roaches. We get the good kind like Indiana Jones Temple of Doom, cute and the size of your thumb. Almost too cute to eat 🪳🪳🪳🪳🪳🪳🪳🪳🪳🪳🪳but they did!!

Just about a blizzard out there right now! I am so glad I put the permanent roof on part of the run. The other part has just a tarp, but maybe next year it'll get a roof too.

I made a solid windbreak out of the leftover pieces of the roof material, and it's a big help at making the run a place where the chickens want to hang out. They really have a nice place to live.

Just about a blizzard out there right now! I am so glad I put the permanent roof on part of the run. The other part has just a tarp, but maybe next year it'll get a roof too.

I made a solid windbreak out of the leftover pieces of the roof material, and it's a big help at making the run a place where the chickens want to hang out. They really have a nice place to live.
That is so cool! I can not imagine the efforts cold weather folks have to go through to keep chooks safe and warm. Bravo ♡!

@BlueBaby How are those duck eggs doing? Do you have them in your 360 yet and set on high for 15 minutes! :gig :lau
There are 11 of them that I put in there with the 11 chicken egg's that I already had in it. They had sent me 14 of the duck egg's. I decided to incubate them together for the time being. I will move the 11 chicken egg's into the other incubator for when it's time for lock down on them, as there is different due dates on the 2 batches of egg's.

There are 11 of them that I put in there with the 11 chicken egg's that I already had in it. They had sent me 14 of the duck egg's. I decided to incubate them together for the time being. I will move the 11 chicken egg's into the other incubator for when it's time for lock down on them, as there is different due dates on the 2 batches of egg's.
It sounds like you have quite the operation going with a double hatch. :) I am curious to see your new baby ducklings. :love I am not sure if I asked you this yet or not, but do you plan to keep and start raising ducks with your chickens?

IMO, duck eggs are awesome, people who bake regularly love them. Maybe there might be a demand for duck eggs in your area for people who bake and or can not eat chicken eggs because of being allergic to them. Duck egg money would be a great way to help with their feed expense. :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom