How it's made - Hatchery chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FractalFarmer, Nov 9, 2008.

1. FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    SF Bay area CA
    We always TiVo the "How it's made" series. This one is a factory operation to incubate, hatch, and sort day-old chicks. For obvious reasons, this episode is a family favorite, and we've saved it permanently to show to friends and guests or just to re-visit for a (somewhat indignant) laugh. Kind of puts home incubation into perspective, no? (oh no! not the separator!)
    [​IMG]

link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkuohLV2u0k

Forgive
    me if this has been posted before; I couldn't find by searching "how it's made" keyword.

2. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    I saw that episode before. It is kind of harsh on the chicks when they go through the separator. It is cool to see all of the chicks. Thousands of them!!!lol it is a good episode.

3. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    My family loves that episode too! The first time I saw it I got a terrible case of the giggles seeing all those chicks sliding around! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Freaky Crazy WOW! :eek:

I never imagined so many conveyer belts needed in hatching baby chicks. It was kinda funny, I was trying to imagine how dizzy they all were.

5. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    I was like OMG. When we got our chicks we handled them like they were made of glass...meanwhile there first day was filled with more action than I could have ever imagined!!!!!!

6. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:LOL< me too. I was super careful with the babies i have too. Not that I stopped being careful, but I am not as paranoid as I was before seeing the episode. [​IMG]

7. FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    SF Bay area CA
    Quote:LOL, I know what you mean. Especially the ladies at the sexing station, just grabbing 'em, stretching out their wings, and chucking them into the tubes--boys to the right, girls to the left. Or how 'bout the machine that punches holes in the eggs for the Vx? Whoa! The scale of this operation is just mind boggling to me. I'm so glad we have our own flock, and that there are other BYC people who do it the old fashioned way!

8. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    WoW! That was an interesting little chick video! Thanks for sharing! [​IMG]

9. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thats what I said on the day that I seen it! Good gracious! I handle them with the greatest care! Who knew that they were such tough little things?

10. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Oh my...that was a little disturbing. Amazing what those poor little things go through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by