How late do your girls lay?

gale65

Songster
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
north central indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Normally by around 4 pm all the eggs are laid. We have rarely had any after that. Tonight I went out at 5:30 to check for eggs and there was a pullet in all 3 boxes. At least 2 of them went out and back in while I was waiting. I was beginning to worry because it was getting dark and I didn't want them roosting in there. They did finally get done and all 3 laid an egg.

Also we had 10 eggs today from 11 pullets. No supplemental light.

Our girls do not seem to have much of a routine. They lay anywhere between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. - possibly later and we just think it's a morning egg. What is funny is that out of our six nesting boxes, 95% of our eggs come from box #6. Ours have been laying for about six weeks now. Just recently we've got as many as 9 eggs from 12 hens with no supplemental lighting.

The other morning I found two buffs vying for box #6.

nesting-box-number-6-500x333.jpg

Ours (or at least some of ours) skip a day more often I guess or else we'd get a lot more eggs. Usually we get 7-9 eggs a day. The last time we got 10 eggs, which only happened once before, we got a decent # the next day. This time we only got 5 the next day. It all works out to the same average I guess.

I havent supplemented any light, and my 2 reds havent missed a day laying in a few weeks now. When they went through their molts like a month and a half ago-2 months ago I rarely got an egg. But as soon as that was done, its right back to an egg a day each. And they both lay immediately after eating breakfast. Usually they get up, peck around a little in the run, then eat, then straight to the nesting boxes, one after another. Usually have both eggs by 930am. I DO put black pepper in their food 2 or 3 days a week, not sure if its helping, but they are laying everyday so its def not hurting.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom