How late have you had bobs hatch?

orange belton

In the Brooder
May 11, 2015
Wisconsin
Hello all. I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking a while.

This last batch of bobs I hatched started hatching on day 22, and continued until day 27. Has anyone every had them hatch this late? My previous hatches have been done hatching by 24 days. These were purchased eggs. Despite this, I did have an 80 percent hatch rate, which I've never had that high before.

Just curious. Thanks in advance for responses.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

I have had them hatch on day 26 and 27 in the past. I don't like when they do hatch this late, LOL but being that the average hatch dated for Bobs is 23-24, day 27 is not all that bad. 3 days is nothing really.

Their due date can be affected by not only temp in the incubator but the eggs themselves and what their genetic back ground is. Issues of all kinds are passed down from parent to the offspring. I also like to use 2 thermometers, the one on the machine and one inside as well. This way can really know I am where I should be instead of relying on the machines temp gauge. They can go bad over time.

Thanks for the response! Definitely good info here.

We did have a drastic weather change from the time I set them to lockdown. We went from cold with the furnace running, dry in the house, to warm and rainy, and the humidity in my Hovabator going sky high. I wondered if that had anything to do with it.

I did notice that 4 of the late hatchers had bad toes/feet. Not sure if this is a genetic problem or not. The eggs came highly recommended from a large quail farm. As stated before, I'm very happy with the hatch rate. Other than the 4 with bad feet that the others killed, the rest are healthy and doing well.

I also like the way you think with several thermometers. I did the same thing this hatch.

X2
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom